Way to keep formulas unchanged when deleting rows?

PeteJ

Nov 17, 2009, 10:02:01 AM11/17/09
I have a bunch of references to some data that I copy into a datasheet.
Occasionally, this data has some blank rows or rows with unneeded data in it.
If I delete those rows, it messes up all the formulas on other pages. Is
there a way to define the formulas such that deleting data won't change them?
I've tried using absolute cell references ($A$5), but when I delete the line,
this cell reference gets changed.

Thanks,

Pete

muddan madhu

Nov 17, 2009, 10:18:47 AM11/17/09

=INDIRECT("A5")

Jim Thomlinson

Nov 17, 2009, 10:41:04 AM11/17/09
In short the answer is no. Deleting a row will modify all formulas that
referenced a range which contained that row as a part of it.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

David Biddulph

Nov 17, 2009, 10:58:34 AM11/17/09
=INDIRECT("A5")
--
David Biddulph

"Jim Thomlinson" <James_Thomlinson@owfg-Re-Move-This-.com> wrote in message

PeteJ

Nov 17, 2009, 1:10:01 PM11/17/09
Thanks. But this makes the formula non-copyable to increment. so would this
work:

=INDIRECT(CELL($A$5))

??

"muddan madhu" wrote:

> .

David Biddulph

Nov 17, 2009, 1:39:19 PM11/17/09
The answer to your question is "No, it would not work".

You may need to remind yourself what the CELL function does and what its
syntax is; look it up in Excel help.
--
David Biddulph

"PeteJ" <Pe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Gord Dibben

Nov 17, 2009, 2:54:25 PM11/17/09
=INDIRECT("A" & ROW() + 4) entered in B1

BTW........what are "other pages"?

Do you mean other worksheets?

Then you might want

=INDIRECT("Sheet1!A" & ROW() + 4) in those other sheets.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:10:01 -0800, PeteJ <Pe...@discussions.microsoft.com>

Jim Thomlinson

Nov 17, 2009, 3:41:02 PM11/17/09
As Indirect is volatile I rarely use it and post it as a suggestion even
less. Indirect is a truely static reference and unless you want to write all
of your formulas individually or write very complicated formulas it's usage
is limited to little one off applications. Normally a properly organized
spreadsheet will not require it.

To each his own but I can count on one hand the number of times I have used
it in the past couple of years.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"David Biddulph" wrote:

> .

PeteJ

Nov 18, 2009, 11:19:01 AM11/18/09
Yes, I meant Sheets, sorry about that. I will give this a try.

Thanks.