Excel Desktop shortcuts do not work

Billy Gunter via AdminLife

Aug 28, 2004, 8:34:42 AM8/28/04
My Excel desktop shortcuts have stopped working.
I can open the all my workbooks. They are not corrupted.
I can open them from the recently used list or go to open file.
When click on a Excel shortcut Excel will open but the workbook will not.
The samething happens when I try to open an a workbook sent as an attachment.

All other office and other shortcuts work fine
Thanks for your help
Billy

--------------------------------
From: Billy Gunter

-----------------------
Posted by a user from AdminLife (http://www.adminlife.com/)

<Id>uBv18Xrjk0eOnOLqxUqYOw==</Id>

JMay

Aug 28, 2004, 11:49:19 AM8/28/04
Right-click on your Desktop shortcut Icon;
Select Properties
On the Shortcut Tab
In the Target Box you should have something like this
"C:\My Documents\JMMay Info\Pocket.xls"
maybe redundant, or not (not fully sure) but I would also add the following
in the Start in Box:
"C:\My Documents\JMMay Info"

HTH

"Billy Gunter via AdminLife" <anon...@adminlife.com> wrote in message

Gord Dibben

Aug 28, 2004, 12:03:13 PM8/28/04
Billy

Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1 ) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

JMay

Aug 28, 2004, 12:39:36 PM8/28/04
Gord:
Have I totally "missed-the-boat" here?
As I look back at the OP's original info I guess I assumed
the shortcut icons info had disappeared << bad assumption
I guess OP meant that **everything I suggested** was in place
but he was still having a problem; Is this closer to the facts?
Thanks for any input!
Jim May

Gord Dibben

Aug 28, 2004, 12:55:11 PM8/28/04
My take was that OP could open the files from Excel's File>Open but not from a
shortcut on desktop or from his mail client.

The common fix(es) for that is/are what I posted.

Your reference to **everything I suggested** is lost on me. Perhaps I missed
a post?

Gord

JMay

Aug 28, 2004, 1:13:02 PM8/28/04
Let me try (explaining) again;
My solution dealt with a windows - desktop short cut issue (under
properties) only.

Your solution dealt with re-registering excel in the Registry , also

Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications"

Two totally different subjects.

Confused here.../??
Tks in advance..

Gord Dibben

Aug 28, 2004, 1:20:57 PM8/28/04
If OP does not post back, we will never know.

Gord

jlfpa...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2020, 10:54:28 PM6/3/20
Totally worked for me, these steps: