RE: How can you restore grid lines?

Shackleford@discussions.microsoft.com Ian Shackleford

Sep 9, 2008, 11:39:12 AM9/9/08
I am having a similar problem. In Tools/Options/View, when I click the
Gridlines box, I get the error message "The number must be between 1 and
32767. Try again by entering a number in this range." I see nowhere to
enter a number.

"Pma" wrote:

> I am trying to restore the grid lines on a work sheet and can't get them
> back. The tools/options/view button is not doing it. Any help?

Tony Ruiz Sr

Nov 11, 2008, 11:47:03 AM11/11/08
Doesn't work for me either and have exhausted all options I can find out
about. Any help out there?
--
Thanks for your time reading this and any help

Tony Ruiz Sr

Nov 11, 2008, 11:48:08 AM11/11/08
I just replied but forgot to check the "notify me of replies" box

David Biddulph

Nov 11, 2008, 12:20:41 PM11/11/08
If this is in response to the question posed in January 2006, a number of
answers were given then and it isn't clear which of them you've tried, or in
what situation you've got the problem (e.g. viewing or printing?). In
particular, make sure that the cell background isn't set to white; it needs
to be "no colour".
--
David Biddulph

"Tony Ruiz Sr" <TonyR...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

PDM

Nov 25, 2008, 12:10:01 PM11/25/08

"Tony Ruiz Sr" wrote:

I am having similar problem; none of the above has worked. I had different
rows with added background patterns. In trying to remove pattern in one row,
went back to cell format, patterns where first created pattern. No clear
pattern option is offered. Nearest thing is to choose white background,
which eliminates background patter, along with irretrievable grid lines.
Have tried all above suggestions, no help. Any suggestions? Thanks

Bob I

Nov 25, 2008, 12:47:31 PM11/25/08

PDM wrote:

IF you put in ANY fill, then you MUST use Borders.

PDM

Nov 26, 2008, 7:51:00 PM11/26/08

"Bob I" wrote:

> Bob, Thanks for responding. However, someone above (I can't seem to locate him now or I'd give him the credit), but here is a solution that works!:

RESTORING GRID LINES IF LOST THROUGH OTHER OPERATIONS

(e.g., filing a row with a background pattern, and subsequently removing the
pattern, the grid lines will be gone as well – which you did not want to
happen):

Right click on some empty space in the Toolbars on top of the screen.

(Just to the right of the "?" that gives you the Help screens).

Choose "Customize"

Choose the Middle tab "Commands"*.

In the left pane(Categories*) choose "Forms*"

In the right pane choose “Toggle Grid.”

There's a button there that looks like a cheese grater.

Slide it out of the dialogue box onto the end of an existing toolbar on top
of the screen.

Close the Customize dialogue box.

Now when you click on the cheese grater the grid will toggle on and off for
the entire worksheet.

ONE PROBLEM:

After that operation, all other rows to which you’ve applied patterns will
also disappear!!

 Therefore, before restoring the grid lines, make a special mark in the
remaining rows where you wish the patterns to remain, so that after you’ve
made them all disappear by restoring the grid lines to the row where you
wanted the pattern to disappear, you can go back and restore the background
patterns to those rows where you still need them.
 It will also alter the alignment of all your cells, e.g., those that you
put in center of a cell, etc. Can quickly recognize these, and depressing
control key, pick them all and re-align pretty quickly.

Gord Dibben

Nov 26, 2008, 8:10:44 PM11/26/08
Note: select "Automatic" or "No Fill" for fill color.

Do not use white.

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:51:00 -0800, PDM <P...@discussions.microsoft.com>

Aboobacker@discussions.microsoft.com Mohamed Aboobacker

Apr 13, 2010, 4:31:01 AM4/13/10

Roger Govier

Apr 13, 2010, 4:58:11 AM4/13/10
to Mohamed Aboobacker
Hi Mohammed

Check that the gridlines oolour has not been set to white under
Tools>Options>View

Also, make sure that the cells have not all been formatted as
Patterns>White.
That would prevent gridlines from showing. The default pattern is No Colour

--
Regards
Roger Govier

Message has been deleted

Michael Kane

Oct 29, 2021, 11:26:47 AM10/29/21
What I do is find a cell that has the format that I want and also still has gridlines, copy it and past FORMAT ONLY into the cell that lost the gridlines. The gridlines will reappear.