Backup Folders Using Excel

Rob Pearce

Jan 31, 2003, 5:46:57 AM1/31/03
Can I use Excel to backup the directory [folder] I use to
another location??

I store my files in c:\01 and wish to back them up to
d:\02.

I can do it by opening up each file and saving to that
location and then shutting the file down but I'm sure
there must be an easier way.

If there is a way could it be used to backup Word files as
well??

Thanks as usual,

Rob.

David McRitchie

Jan 31, 2003, 6:00:50 AM1/31/03
Hi Rob,
Use your DOS partition Window (command.exe)
XCOPY c:\01\*.* d\02\*.* /s /d
to backup all files and subdirectories,
and check datetimestamp for newer files so it
only copies updated files. Get help with either
HELP XCOPY
XCOPY /?

If you want to make a copy of the file you are
working on from within Excel see my bakup.htm page.
---
HTH,

Robin Clay

Jan 31, 2003, 10:10:02 AM1/31/03

[coff, coff]

Should be

XCOPY c:\01\*.* d:\02\*.* /s /d

not XCOPY c:\01\*.* d\02\*.* /s /d

>.

David McRitchie

Jan 31, 2003, 11:12:44 AM1/31/03
Hi Rob,
Yep. I have my hard drive with a directory named d
from my backups that I've been using the same way it
was backed up ever since my desktop computer broke
like two weeks after I bought a laptop (April 2001) and
purchased memory for desktop at same time.

But at least I know you're familiar with XCOPY <grin>

HTH,

"Robin Clay" <rC...@hasnospamwell.com> wrote ...

Dana DeLouis

Jan 31, 2003, 9:51:05 PM1/31/03
Don't remember earlier versions, but in Excel XP, one can use something
like...

Sub Copy_Using_WildCard_Characters()
'// Demo: Dana DeLouis
Const From As String = "C:\01\*.*"
Const Destination As String = "D:\02"

CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").Copyfile From, Destination
End Sub

Depending on what you want to do, you might want to work with something like
this ...

Const GetWord As String = "C:\01\*.DOC"
Const GetExcel As String = "C:\01\*.XLS"

--
Dana DeLouis
Windows XP & Office XP