big Excel file crashes Excel

Michael Dirksen

Jan 25, 2002, 3:07:20 PM1/25/02
Hello!
I made an Excel file, of a size about 63 MB. I could store it, but
after closing Excel I was not able to open it again. Excel crashes
with the statement "Not enough memory" . The system has enough memory
(512 MB) and the task amnager states that still 200 MB of phsikal
memory are free. My system: Office 2000 service pack 1 windows NT4,
512 MB RAM Any Idea how to open the file and work with it?
thank you very much
MIchael

David McRitchie

Jan 25, 2002, 4:08:20 PM1/25/02
Hi Michael ,
You have about as much RAM memory left as I have HD space left.

The memory referred to may be graphical memory, used up
by buttons, fonts, hyperlinks (not HYPERLINK Worksheet Functions),
graphs.

More information in
Slow Response
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm
and at Charles Williams site (see links on above page).

HTH,
My Excel Macros: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm

Alan

Jan 25, 2002, 5:02:48 PM1/25/02
My thought is - are you trying to use Excel where a database would be a
better solution? What version of Excel are you using? Oldver versions may
not be able to handle the amounts of memory that we deem as normal these
days...

Charles Williams

Jan 25, 2002, 7:34:25 PM1/25/02
Hi Michael,
There is a limit, about 64MB filesize~~80MB memory.

try getting rid of all add-ins, personal.xls etc and you may be able to open
it.
Excel 2002 (XP) can open much larger files (approx 2x larger).
hth
Charles Williams
Decision Models
The Excel Calculation Site