Scatter chart with categories on x-Axis

Spi86

Feb 28, 2013, 9:08:34 AM2/28/13

Hello,

I want to make a chart in Excel that plots values on the y-axis to the
specific category. The category is plotted on the x-axis. See example
here: http://www10.pic-upload.de/28.02.13/wuag2tpidf53.jpg

I am almost sure that excel can do that, since it can everything :)

Thanks a lot for your help

--
Spi86

Steve=True

Feb 28, 2013, 10:12:53 PM2/28/13

Hi SPi86,

Of course you can do this :)

Set up your data like the picture.

Then create a line chart with markers, not an XY chart.

Then Switch the Rows/Columns from the Design Ribbon.

Let me know if this works for you.

Steve=True

|Filename: LineScatterChart.jpg |
|Download: http://www.excelbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=792|

Steve=True

Spi86

Mar 1, 2013, 10:17:32 AM3/1/13

Hey,
Thanks for your reply. I can reproduce your diagram, and it is an almost
ok solution for my problem :)

The problem with your solution is that I have to rearrange my data. (I
get the data the way I showed it in the picture.) And to rearrange the
data I would like to avoid.

Another ok, but not perfect thing about your solution is that I have to
change the symbols by hand. I forgot to say that in the beginning, but I
would like to have for each category A, B, C a unique symbol. With that
I mean over category A is symbol 1, over category B is symbol 2 ...

Do you know how to do that?

Thanks again for your help

Steve=True;1609918 Wrote:
> Hi SPi86,

> Of course you can do this :)
>
> Set up your data like the picture.
>
> Then create a line chart with markers, not an XY chart.
>
> Then Switch the Rows/Columns from the Design Ribbon.
>
> Let me know if this works for you.
>
> Steve=True

Spi86

agblo...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2018, 10:21:10 PM8/7/18
If you numerically code your x axis text categories (e.g. 1,2,3), list them in a single column ensuring you list each code as many times as there are data points for that category, then in adjacent columns list plot points for respective variables against relevant text category code and just leave blank cells against non-relevant text category code, you can scatter plot the final table and get the desired result. Any questions let me know.