Creating a generic CRUD Web Service using Entity Framework?

Lothar Behrens

Aug 3, 2012, 4:00:57 AM8/3/12

I like to ask for the pitfals when designing a generic webservice for CRUD operations like this:

[ServiceContract()]
interface ICRUDService
{
// returns true when created
bool Create(string type, BaseEntity entity);
}

Resolving various known types will be implemented with a datacontract resolver and the concrete type is passed as a string (hint) or the like.

My question targets to WS Addressing, Policy and the other extensions that would be invalidated in such a design in my opinion.

Is that opinion correct?

Are there any other opinions?

Are there concrete samples that tell me not to do this?

Thanks

Lothar