Setup project questions

Paul W

Dec 19, 2009, 7:04:51 PM12/19/09
Hi All,

I'm new to Setup projects and I have a couple of questions. First: I want a
CheckBox to select whether a Desktop shortcut will be created. I added one
of the default CheckBox dialogs to the project. I have only one CheckBox
set to visible and I've accepted the default property name, "CHECKBOXA1".
Then, in the File System view, I highlighted "User's Desktop" and set the
"Condition" property to "CHECKBOXA1=1". I thought this would cause the
shortcut to be created only when the CheckBox is checked but instead, the
shortcut is always created regardless of the state of the CheckBox.

Second: Is there a way to add a condition to control whether a file
association is made. I'd like to set up another CheckBox to control this
action if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Paul

Paul W

Dec 20, 2009, 12:38:46 PM12/20/09
With some more searching I found the answer to both of my problems.

First, with the desktop shortcut, I don't know what the Condition property
on the File System is for but that property would have to be included in the
shortcut in order to have the effect I wanted. And there's no Condition
property at all with the File Type.

The answer to both issues is to create additional Project Outputs in the
Application Folder. Each of these outputs HAVE the condition property that
can be used to control whether or not those outputs are created. This has
the effect of making any shortcuts that are created from these outputs
dependent on the conditions attached to the output it self.

The best way I've found so far to do this is this: first do the shortcuts.
One by one, create the output with the desired conditions. Next, right
click the output and select Create shortcut ... and set any desired
properties. Finally, move the shortcut to the desired folder.

The File Type is similar but not exactly the same. The first thing to keep
in mind is the associations that are made to Project Outputs seem to change
as new outputs are added. So, if you create an output, use that output to
create a File Type, and then go on and create another output, it appears
that the File Type will be attached to the last output created taking on
that output's conditions. So creating the output for the File Type should
be done last.

One other thing to keep in mind is that unlike creating the shortcuts
described above, you don't right click the desired output and make a
selection from its context menu. Instead, you create the File Type and set
the Command property to one of the outputs you have already created. When
you do this you will be selecting the output from a list of outputs that all
have the same name. You HAVE to know which position in this list is the
output you want because there's no way to differentiate between them when
you make your selection.

Paul

"Paul W" <nos...@pw-review.com> wrote in message