Overlapped I/O operation is in progress

jceddy

Feb 25, 2011, 6:02:28 PM2/25/11
I itermittently get an error when calling a remote procedure
using .NET Remoting (Framework version 2.0). The entire exception
trace looks like this:

Server stack trace:
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset,
Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketStream.Read(Byte[]
buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.ReadFromSocket(Byte[]
buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.BufferMoreData()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.Read(Byte[]
buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.ReadAndMatchFourBytes(Byte[]
buffer)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpSocketHandler.ReadAndMatchPreamble()
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpSocketHandler.ReadVersionAndOperation(UInt16&
operation)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientSocketHandler.ReadHeaders()
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage
msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream,
ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage
msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage
reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData&
msgData, Int32 type)
... my calling code

Does anyone have a suggestion on what might cause this?

A little more information: the progress of the call goes like this:

1) Client makes call to server
2) Server recieves the call and starts processing
3) "Overlapped I/O operation is in progress" is thrown on the client
side
4) Server completes processing

From what I've read, it sounds like this is coming from some event
down in the socket-handling code that maybe should be ignored but is
instead causing an exception?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe