Computer Freezes Randomly

-MįŧçĦ-

Jan 22, 2007, 4:01:01 AM1/22/07
My computer randomly freezes up and you can't open anything...the only thing
you can do is open the start menu but no access to any of the start menu
features, but the mouse moves perfectly fine.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? i dont think it has
anything to do with my hardware...i've got 1.5gb ram, 2.8ghz processer and
running xp home sp2.

This only started happening recently and is really frustrating when
something important is running and the computer freezes...It may be a virus,
but windows onecare or defender couldn't detect it, and neither could my
anitvirus - nod32.

Any ideas/help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Mitchell

Adam Benson

Jan 22, 2007, 7:25:59 AM1/22/07
My guess is explorer. When it freezes everything becomes unresponsive.

Is explorer trying to :
access a net drive it can't find?
access a faulty drive attached to your machine?

Is some service trying to find something that's not available?
Example: We have clearcase installed on our machines and if your machine is
detached from the network Clearcase tries to find its server process and
because it can't everything freezes.

HTH,

Adam
======

-MįŧçĦ-

Jan 22, 2007, 5:39:02 PM1/22/07
Thanks I'll take a look, I don't have Clearcase, but a floppy disk drive
keeps showing up in My Computer, and I only just figured out yesterday that
is hould disable it.

I will post back if the computer freezes up again.

Thanks

Ciaran O''Donnell

Jan 25, 2007, 5:51:02 AM1/25/07
One suggestion is to goto the Folder Options in a windows folder, go to the
View tab. Select the option to 'Launch folder windows in a seperate process',
then if a folder window locks up, it wont affect the rest of windows.

--
Ciaran O''Donnell
http://wannabedeveloper.spaces.live.com

s6421

Sep 11, 2009, 8:20:01 PM9/11/09
Get help, know more, and get free helpful applications when you visit
http://www.howtospeedupmycomputer.net/my-computer-freezes-randomly-3-solutions/ I know, I tried it myself.