w3wp.exe (ASP .Net) eating memory

venom00

Nov 17, 2009, 1:52:00 PM11/17/09
Hello, i'm on a VPS with Windows 2003 x64 (IIS 6.0 so) and i have a
serious problem with w3wp.exe. It starts from 60 Mb and then grows
until the whole avaiable RAM is used.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4120/w3wpgraph.png

Here's an example image showing w3wp.exe private bytes and Gen 0 Heap
size. They seems related, but if I use ".NET CLR Memory/# Bytes in all
Heaps " it is much lower than private bytes. Can we still say that is
an ASP .Net problem?

Moreover analyzing a crash dump the heap size i obtain is smaller, 200
Mb while the crash dump was 700 mb and private bytes about 600 mb.

http://pastebin.com/m6c448c9d

Here is also a !dumpheap -stat:

http://pastebin.com/m7fd72aa

I've done a "!dumpheap -mt 000006427881aaf8" (the System.String entry)
and I've found that the bigger strings are aspx pages. I've a lot of
them on my website (thousands). Maybe w3wp.exe is caching them? How
can i disable this feature?
!gcroot on one of this strings gives the following output:

http://pastebin.com/m15545adc

Does this mean it's orphaned but not collected by the GC?

Here's a "!dumpheap -stat -type Cach":

http://pastebin.com/m2955d688

And a !do and a !gcroot of a CacheEntry:

http://pastebin.com/f38df0a24

If you need it, I can also give you the link to the whole dump. I've
been working on it for a week without results!

Thanks in advance,
Carl

Paul

Nov 18, 2009, 6:08:11 AM11/18/09
What IIS related apps are you using.

Do they store data in Session, Application cache or static variables?

"venom00" <venom.z...@gmail.com> wrote in message

venom00

Nov 18, 2009, 7:32:36 AM11/18/09
On 18 Nov, 12:08, "Paul" <paulri...@novareconsulting.com> wrote:
> What IIS related apps are you using.
>
> Do they store data in Session, Application cache or static variables?

I make very little use of Session and static variables, sometimes i
left DB connections open, but they should get closed after a while,
and in any case they wouldn't use all that memory.

It seems to be a bug of x64 .Net:

http://blogs.msdn.com/tess/archive/2007/08/09/asp-net-memory-issue-high-memory-usage-in-a-64bit-w3wp-exe-process.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B912891&x=15&y=5

The first article is exactly describing my issue. However the fix is
not public. I think I'll get back to 32 bit.
What do you think? Can this be the problem?