Troubleshooting SQL Timeouts from .NET app

1 view

Gupta@discussions.microsoft.com Sunny Gupta

Feb 24, 2010, 7:29:01 AM2/24/10
Hello, my .NET app occassionally errors out with the following.

[SqlException: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to
completion of the operation or the server is not responding.]

Traditionally, this is interpreted to mean the stored procedure times out.
But I've trapped this error and issued a retry within the code - it errors
out within 1 second - so it can't be a command or connection timeout.

It's calling a parameterized stored procedure. One of the parameters is
binary data.

How can I work out what's going on?

Mary Chipman [MSFT]

Feb 24, 2010, 1:36:10 PM2/24/10
Have you put a Profiler trace on the call that is timing out? If
you're not familiar with it, you can get started here:

--Mary