DPINST driver removal Windows 7 not working

Kota

May 24, 2010, 10:28:01 AM5/24/10

Driver removal in Win-7 with DPINST Tool is not working.
Here is the DPINST.log:
INFO: ****************************************
INFO: 05/14/2010 05:05:58
INFO: Product Version 2.1.0.0.
INFO: Version: 6.0.6000
INFO: Platform ID: 2 (NT)
INFO: Service Pack: 0.0
INFO: Suite: 0x0100, Product Type: 1
INFO: Architecture: AMD64.
INFO: Interactive Windows Station
INFO: Command Line: '"C:\xp-64\dpinst.exe" /U xxxxx.inf /D'
INFO: DPInst is not multi-lingual.
INFO: ****************************************
INFO: Current working directory: 'C:\xp-64'
INFO: Uninstall command: uninstall Inf 'xxxxx.inf'
INFO: Uninstall option set: if driver was installed, will make best effort
to delete driver binaries.
INFO: Starting uninstall of 'xxxxx.inf'
INFO: ENTER: DriverPackageUninstallW
INFO: Uninstalling driver package C:\xp-64\xxxxx.inf...
INFO: Successfully uninstalled 'C:\Windows\INF\oem1.inf'.
ERROR: Failed to uninstall device instance ID
'PCI\VEN_114A&DEV_5565&SUBSYS_00801556&REV_00\4&16FFE941&0&2008'. (Error code
0xE0000203: There is no driver selected for the device information set or
element.)
INFO: No devices found for
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\xxxxx.inf_amd64_neutral_a1b20f8677a8d979\xxxxx.inf uninstall.
INFO: Successfully deleted properties for driver store entry
'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\xxxxx.inf_amd64_neutral_a1b20f8677a8d979\xxxxx.inf'.
SUCCESS:Uninstall completed.
INFO: RETURN: DriverPackageUninstallW (0x0)
INFO: Returning with code 0x0
INFO: 05/14/2010 05:06:00
Same driver removal is working fine in xp, server, vista, but not in win7.

As it described in help, It is not removing the files in system32, which
causing driver is still accessible though the driver is removed until the
system restart.
Also after system restart, device manager is not cleaned and still showing
the old device name with ! mark that instead of unknown device.

This is not clean removal process compared to previous OS.

Any other method available to clean this?

Also, not sure, why is this error coming in win-7:
Error code 0xE0000203: There is no driver selected for the device
information set or element.

Thanks,
Kota

Luv2Hike

May 24, 2010, 1:06:11 PM5/24/10
You asked this question before. Again, accoding to the Windows 7 WDK (as
documented in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff544775(VS.85).aspx):

/d

Sets the deleteBinaries flag to ON, which configures DPInst to delete the
binary files that were copied to a system when a driver package was
installed.

Note Starting with Windows 7, the /d switch is ignored by the operating
system. Binary files, which were copied to a system when a driver package
was installed, can no longer be deleted by using DPInst.

Apparently, there are no other way to delete the driver file through DIFx or
DPInst.

"Kota" <Ko...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Kota

May 25, 2010, 3:49:01 AM5/25/10

Thanks for your reply, Yes, I had asked this query last time, But i didnt
see th DPISNT log last time.

This DPINST log error appears that problem related to something else, i.e
the reason, I have posted with log, so that, somebody will see the log and
post any info related to this log, why is this giving error in Win-7.

I appreciate your info about this, Have you seen any Microsoft weblink says
that, this behavior is specific to Win-7 apart from your observations?

Thanks,
Prafulla

"Luv2Hike" wrote:

> .

Luv2Hike

May 25, 2010, 11:38:14 AM5/25/10
> I appreciate your info about this, Have you seen any Microsoft weblink
> says
> that, this behavior is specific to Win-7 apart from your observations?

It's documented in the WDK. Look at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff544775(VS.85).aspx)

"Kota" <Ko...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tim Roberts

May 26, 2010, 12:33:15 AM5/26/10
Kota <Ko...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Driver removal in Win-7 with DPINST Tool is not working.
>Here is the DPINST.log:
>INFO: ****************************************
>INFO: 05/14/2010 05:05:58
>INFO: Product Version 2.1.0.0.
>INFO: Version: 6.0.6000
>INFO: Platform ID: 2 (NT)
>INFO: Service Pack: 0.0
>INFO: Suite: 0x0100, Product Type: 1
>INFO: Architecture: AMD64.

That's not Windows 7, that's Vista. Windows 7 is version 7600.
--
Tim Roberts, ti...@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Maxim S. Shatskih

May 26, 2010, 5:49:42 AM5/26/10
> Driver removal in Win-7 with DPINST Tool is not working.

Write your own tool based on Win32 and SetupAPI instead of DPINST.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP