AdvancedSearch really asynchronous?

Richard Gran

Oct 12, 2010, 7:51:29 PM10/12/10
Hi guys,

I'm doing a search using this method but not really getting an
asynchronous operation eventhough the properties say so. The issue is,
the Outlook application looks as if it is frozen or has crashed when I'm
invoking this call on a folder that has lots of items in it.

Does this method really do asynchronous operation?

Below are some trace logs that I got unfortunately, I don't have the
same test environment of the client with lots of folder items. I'm using
C++/ATL for development in Outlook 2007 with SP2.

As you can see, the search completes before the while loop gets printed.

This "while loop' is akin to the DoEvents used in VB, thus it's not
really a blocking loop that chews up processor time.

CConnect::FindOriginalItem - Searching asynchronously in folder:
'\\Public Folders\All Public Folders\Test10'
CConnect::OnAdvancedSearchComplete - '\\Public Folders\All Public
Folders\Test10'
CConnect::FindOriginalItem - Starting while loop.
CConnect::FindOriginalItem - Total search time: 16(ms)
CConnect::FindOriginalItem - Search completed for: '\\Public Folders\All
Public Folders\Test10'
CConnect::FindOriginalItem - Can't find original
item in folder: '\\Public Folders\All Public Folders\Test10'

CConnect::FindOriginalItem - Searching asynchronously in folder:
'\\Public Folders\All Public Folders\Test11'
CConnect::OnAdvancedSearchComplete - '\\Public Folders\All Public
Folders\Test11'
CConnect::FindOriginalItem - Starting while loop.
CConnect::FindOriginalItem - Total search time: 16(ms)
CConnect::FindOriginalItem - Search completed for: '\\Public Folders\All
Public Folders\Test11'
CConnect::FindOriginalItem - Found original item with conversation
topic: test, index:
01CB69D9E63D58A88846B97D4F90870619333B46850C000075A820

Regards,
Richard

Richard Gran

Oct 13, 2010, 12:37:53 AM10/13/10
Hi guys,

Just ignore this message. It is because the operation is made to the
Public folders and you can only do a search to a single public folder
(searching in sub-folders doesn't work).

AdvancedSearch does asynchronous search well to message stores that
support STORE_SEARCH_OK and Public Folders store doesn't support this
SUPPORT_MASK.

Regards,
Richard

Richard Gran <em...@company.com> wrote in