View Filters Working (kind of - still behaving strangely though)

Joseph Geretz

Aug 2, 2006, 1:22:03 AM8/2/06
I finally got View filtering to work - kind of. I've still got a couple of
strange limitations which I'd like to work out.

First of all, I haven't been able to get filtering to work with a brand new
custom created view. If I work with the built in stock views (the one I'm
working with is 'Address Cards') I can get the filter to work. I would like
to get this to the point where I can create a new view defined by my
application, add a filter to the view and apply the view. If anyone has any
working sample code, that would be extremely helpful.

My second problem is as follows. Normally, after applying the filter, my
contacts listing updates immediately to show me the few qualifying entries,
or if I remove the filter, the contact listing returns to diaply all
contacts. Sometimes though, the contact listing just stops responding. I'll
create a new filter, or remove the filter but the contact listing remains
unaffected. In this case, I'll flip over to my Mail Inbox, do a Send and
Receive All with my Exchange Sserver. When I return to my Contacts, I'll now
find that the contacts listing once again starts responding to my filtering.
Anyone have a clue?

Thankks very much for any help which you can provide!

- Joe Geretz -

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Aug 2, 2006, 9:11:54 AM8/2/06
Views created and applied using code may not display in the UI until
ActiveExplorer has been changed to some other folder and back again. Outlook
has a tendency to cache your view.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Joseph Geretz" <jge...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Joseph Geretz

Aug 3, 2006, 11:13:50 PM8/3/06
Hi Ken,

> Outlook has a tendency to cache your view.

So how do I work around this? How is it possible to reliably apply a filter
and ensure that Outlook will respect the filter as soon as it is applied.
BTW, I am sometimes finding that simply changing to a different folder and
back again is not sufficient. I need to change the folder, sync with my
Exchange Server and then switch back to find my filter respected. Isn't
there a method to direct Outlook to refresh its view? Otherwise, how is it
possible to create an embedded Outlook application?

Thanks,

Joe Geretz

"Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]" <kens...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Aug 4, 2006, 9:13:43 AM8/4/06
You do what you're doing. Getting the UI view to reflect changes you make in
code isn't something that is cleanly addressed in any of the methods
available to you.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"Joseph Geretz" <jge...@nospam.com> wrote in message

elaine....@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2014, 6:19:47 PM12/8/14
My views were showing too many sessions because I had not applied a filter. So I applied a filter that:

Track activity in a specific directory
If you'd like to report solely on activity in a specific directory, you can set up an Include filter. Likewise, if you'd like to see data for all but one or several pages or directories, an Exclude filter will take care of it for you.

to restrict to one subdirectory, but my view is still showing too many sessions (the new filter did not change it). Please advise. How long does it take a filter to update historical data?

Thx,
EB