Error 10111 in Hyper-V-VMMS - DPM2010RC + Win2008R2 + CSV

Hodgkins@discussions.microsoft.com Matthew Hodgkins

Mar 18, 2010, 6:43:01 PM3/18/10
Hello,

Background Information:

* We have a 3 node cluster of Windows 2008 R2 running Hyper-V.
* The Hyper-V Virtual Machines are stored on a Clustered Shared Volume
(CSV).
* The CSV is created on a Windows 2008 Storage Server.
* The Hotfixes KB975354 and KB975921 are installed on each node of the
cluster.
* The VSS Hardware Providers have been installed on each node of the
cluster using this tutorial:
http://blogs.technet.com/josebda/archive/2008/05/29/installing-the-vss-hardware-provider-for-the-microsoft-iscsi-software-target-on-windows-server-2008.aspx
* We are using DPM 2010 RC to backup the clustered Hyper-V machines
* DPM is installed on a Windows 2008 R2 machine.
* The Hyper-V Guests have the latest version of the Integration
Component installed (installed after installing the Hotfixes).

The Error :

When I try and do a backup using a Child Partition Snapshot I get the
following error in the DPM console:

Affected area: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\SSW-DC2
Occurred since: 18/03/2010 2:11:01 AM
Using Child Partition Snapshot\SSW-DC2 on SSW-DC2.HyperVCluster.ssw-vm.local
have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 5.
If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details
to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed. (ID
3114)
DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID 30112 Details: VssError:The
writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried,
the error may not reoccur.
(0x800423F3))
More information
Recommended action: Check the Application Event Log on
leopard9.ssw-vm.local for the cause of the failure. Fix the cause and retry
the operation.
For more information on this error, go to
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.

The following error message also appears in the event log of the cluster
node which is hosting the Hyper-V Guest SSW-DC2:

* This error is under Event Viewer > Applications and Services Log >
Microsoft > Windows > Hyper-V-Worker > Admin

Event 10111, Hyper-V-VMMS
Failed to mount the virtual hard disk
'\\?\Volume{c083030d-3215-11df-ad27-00219b676d97}\SSW-DC2\VMDCssw-dc2.vhd'
for virtual machine 'SSW-DC2' (Virtual machine ID
8D51ABCE-3E68-4B73-B09C-D148CCDD9BFA).

* Each time I attempt to run the DPM backup the Volume ID is different
in the error:

Event 10111, Hyper-V-VMMS
Failed to mount the virtual hard disk
'\\?\Volume{c08301f7-3215-11df-ad27-00219b676d97}\SSW-DC2\VMDCssw-dc2.vhd'
for virtual machine 'SSW-DC2' (Virtual machine ID
8D51ABCE-3E68-4B73-B09C-D148CCDD9BFA).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matthew Hodgkins
www.ssw.com.au

Narendran Gunasekaran[MSFT]

Mar 19, 2010, 1:31:27 AM3/19/10
Matthew,
1. Is this happening for only one VM, or for all the VMs in that node?
2. Can you send the *.errlog from under <DPMInstallFolder>\DPM\Temp,
Application and System event logs, and Hyper-V VMMS, and Hyper-V Image
Management Service event logs from the node, to nguna[AT]microsoft[dot]com
3. Also, can you try live migrating the VM to some other node and check if
the backup succeeds?
4. Also, please check if automount is enabled on the Hyper-V nodes (Open
diskpart -> automount)

--
Narendran G [MSFT]

"Matthew Hodgkins" <Matthew Hodg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3735CD82-8540-49B9...@microsoft.com...

Shyama Hembram[MSFT]

Mar 19, 2010, 2:20:09 AM3/19/10
Can you uninstall the iSCSI VSS provider on one node and then take a backup
of one VM from that node. Which version of iSCSI VSS provider is this?

--
Thanks
Shyama

"Matthew Hodgkins" <Matthew Hodg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3735CD82-8540-49B9...@microsoft.com...

Matthew Hodgkins

Mar 21, 2010, 7:24:01 PM3/21/10
Hi Narendran.

1. It is happening for every VM on every node.
2. Done - I have sent you the email with all those event logs
3. Done - all nodes have the same issue
4. Done - "Automatic mounting of new volumes enabled"

Matt

"Narendran Gunasekaran[MSFT]" wrote:

> .

Matthew Hodgkins

Mar 21, 2010, 8:57:01 PM3/21/10
1. I uninstalled the Hardware VSS provider on one of the nodes and was able
to get a successful backup. I had this working before the hardware VSS
provider was installed but was constantly getting this error:

"Failed to prepare a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) for backup as another
backup using the same CSV is in progress. (ID 32612 Details: Back up is in
progress. Please wait for backup completion before trying this operation
again (0×8007173D)"

Full Screenshot of error -
http://www.hodgkins.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/image_thumb1.png

This is why I tried the Hardware VSS provider.

2. It is the "Microsoft iSCSI Software Target Client Version 3.2.0"

Matt

Shyama Hembram[MSFT]

Mar 22, 2010, 1:13:53 AM3/22/10
Hi here are the responses.
1. For Error (8007173D) you need to serialize the backups if you are using
Software snapshots.
2. For iSCSI v3.2.0 can you check in the iSCSI forum if this version of the
provider supports online backup of Virtual machines.

--
Thanks
Shyama
[This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranies, and confers no rights]

"Matthew Hodgkins" <Matthew...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:77D15B96-4F12-4DCE...@microsoft.com...

Matthew Hodgkins

Mar 24, 2010, 7:09:02 PM3/24/10
Shyama and Narendran helped me fix this issue in emails.

To read the whole process on fixing this issue I have made a blog post about
it here:

http://www.hodgkins.net.au/2010/03/enabling-serialized-hyper-v-virtual-machine-backups-in-dpm-2010-rc/

Thanks guys.