Access denied to MSIDXS

jbourdet23

Jun 11, 2010, 3:41:15 PM6/11/10
A little background: (this is all on our local intranet)

I have an ASP.NET 4.0 web page that is querying the MS Index Service on a
remote machine. When using my domain account I'm able to access the Index
Service on the remote machines (makes sense, i do have access to it). So when
running the asp.net page in vs2010 everything works perfect.

When I deploy the page to my IIS server (server 2008r2). The MSIDXS query
fails with access denied. Ok, so the w3wp.exe process is running as Network
Service so it would fail. (oh using windows integrated authentication by the
way).

So I set my web.config file to <identity impersonate="true"/> should be good
to go i thought? Tried the page again and fail!

So ran ProcessMonitor and found that \pipe\ci_skads has ACCESS_DENIED error
when clicking details it shows that is impersonating my domain account. So i
have no idea?

Next thought, ok well I'll change my application pool to use my domain
account (just to see). So set that up. Tested page and it worked? Again
ProcessMonitor showed \pipe\ci_skads only this time access was allowed and it
showed impersonating my domain account.

thanks

Kenneth A. Larsen

Jul 9, 2010, 6:30:36 PM7/9/10