sql odbc DRIVER not available as a choice in DSN driver listing-XP PRO SP3

four_speed

Jan 30, 2012, 5:02:48 PM1/30/12
Hello,
I have recently installed an HP Proliant ML370 G2 system as a test
server, and also have installed SQL 2000 on that system. I installed
Great Plains 8.0 on that system, and have created the SQL ODBC system
dsn for that application. On the server, this program works fine.

On one of my test workstations (which is an older Gateway Laptop)
running XP PRO SP3, I installed the client portion of the Great Plains
application. When I attempt to set up an ODBC driver for the SQL
connection there is NO SQL selection available. I have installed the
client only portion of SQL 2000 on this computer, and have even gone
so far as to completely reinstall SP3. Still no SQL choice in the ODBC
setup.

I noticed that on this system, there appears to be NO WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
directory (at least it is not visible). There is however, a WINNT
\SYSTEM32 directory. The WINNT directory does include "sqlsrv32.dll".

AM I overlooking something in my ODBC configuration?

Thanks for your help.
Regards....Dave K

ralph

Jan 30, 2012, 8:57:21 PM1/30/12
You need to install the ODBC drivers.

Download and install MDAC 2.8*
"Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8 SP1"
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5793

If it still doesn't show up run ...

odbcconf.exe /F odbcconf.rsp

In the <windows/winnt>/System32 folder. This rebuilds the list in the
Registery.

-ralph
[* Normally ODBC drivers are installed separately and MDAC is for OLE
DB Providers only. However, SQL Server is the exception. Both ODBC and
OLE DB providers and drivers are supplied.]