Determine AD attribute can be modified by user

prabinba

Sep 4, 2009, 5:16:05 AM9/4/09
There are list of constructed attributes which can not be modified by us,
only the AD manipulate and modify these constructed attributes.

Similar to Constructed attributes, DistinguishedName(DN) attribute that also
can not be modified.

In my application, I need to restrict the user not to modify these type of
AD attributes. For this purpose, I need the list of AD attributes that can
not be modified. Kindly guide me how to determine, whether the given AD
attribute can be modified or not.

Thanks in advance.

Joe Kaplan

Sep 5, 2009, 12:31:26 PM9/5/09
In AD, you can use the allowedAttributesEffective contructed attribute to
get a list of the attributes that the user is actually allowed to modify
given their current permissions. Using this might be the best approach to
provide the user with this type of information.

http://www.directoryprogramming.net
"prabinba" <prab...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Richard Mueller [MVP]

Sep 5, 2009, 2:39:25 PM9/5/09
This works for normal users, but if the user is a member of "Domain Admins"
the list includes all attributes, including distinguishedName and
operational (constructed) attributes.

--
Richard Mueller
MVP Directory Services
"Joe Kaplan" <joseph....@removethis.accenture.com> wrote in message

JRB

Sep 19, 2009, 8:38:52 PM9/19/09
Just curious - do you know if allowedAttributesEffective will reveal
whether you have the "reset password" extended right to the target
user and hence can change that user's password without knowing the old
one?

TIA, John

On Sep 6, 4:31 am, "Joe Kaplan"

Joe Kaplan

Sep 20, 2009, 10:06:47 PM9/20/09
No, it does not do that. There is no easy way to determine that as far as I
know without calling one of the AccessCheck APIs.

"JRB" <jo...@jrbsoftware.com> wrote in message