modifying backend tables and relinking

myeyedoct...@gmail.com

May 30, 2014, 1:57:00 PM5/30/14
I split a database originally built ACCESS 2000 frontend backend a few years ago and have done no programming since, so I am rusty and also unfamiliar with the newer ACCESS 2007 menus.

I am using 2007 and the database shows it is in 2000 format.

So I want to modify some tables - adding new fields and changing input edits for some fields. I am confused about how to re-link table manager. Allow me to explain what I did and tell me what I am not doing correctly.

Since I am in "production", that is I use tables and forms for my live business, I thought I would make changes slowly and test them on COPY tables and forms and reports and export code to dataset. Then when I was sure everything was working correctly, I would "just" swap the table and file names later. That doesn't seem to be such a good idea. Explaining further:

In the backend, I copied a table and named it TABLETEST and modified the fields.
Then I went to the frontend to switch a comboLOOKUP within it to try to use that new table in the backend and see if it caused the form a problem. But I do not "SEE" the TABLETEST in the frontend table listing and if I select TABLE LINK MANAGER, TABLETEST is not visible to check box it.

I am wondering if I am supposed to create TABLETEST in the frontend as a localtable first and then SPLIT OFF a new Backend.....if I do that, do I have to delete the old back end before I split off the new backend. You see, I totally don't know what I am doing.

Also, I am reviewing the reasons for having a backend in the first place. I suppose it protects the table and data integrity from users using the frontend GUI. I suppose originally I thought I might publish a runtime and sell the application - but that ain't ever happening - so that is not a concern anylonger. Should I keep the "split" design (integrity and protection is a justified reason)

one more line of questioning. the field I am modifying is 999.99. The modification is to >L99.99aa I already verified that after changing th edit and widening the field, the old data is not lost and is still compatible. I want to keep the history. Will this mess up the frontend form, however, in that the frontend form has a LIST (query lookup on the TABLETEST) and will ultimately display for selection the data in new format from TABLETEST. I am hoping that the LOOKUP will display OK, even though if I were to select an "oldstyle" record an error message woul dpop up "data format error" and not permit the selection......I just want the from to function. If this line of questioning is not succinct, we can put the discussion off on this until later. I need to deal with the first two paragraphs first, obviously

thanks in advance