All applications work but Access

Issues Need Help@discussions.microsoft.com Access Issues Need Help

Sep 24, 2008, 2:59:00 PM9/24/08
When I try to run Access 2003 Windows installer comes up, after a moment it
shows "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Ofice Professional
Edition 2003". Access never loads and has not worked since System Restore.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Tony Toews [MVP]

Sep 24, 2008, 5:30:28 PM9/24/08
Access Issues Need Help <Access Issues Need
He...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I try to run Access 2003 Windows installer comes up, after a moment it
>shows "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Ofice Professional
>Edition 2003". Access never loads and has not worked since System Restore.

Try reinstalling it. Or also log on as the administrator and try
running Access 2003 to see if that will fix it.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Access Issues Need Help

Sep 25, 2008, 9:36:12 AM9/25/08
Thanks for the help. I have tried numerous times to reinstall. Also the only
way to log on is system adminstrator. Any other suggestions?

GaryS

Sep 25, 2008, 12:11:02 PM9/25/08
I'm having this exact same problem after using the using the "Settings and
Transfer Wizard" and re-installing Access. All other Office applications
seem to be working, but Access does not come up after presenting the box that
says "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Professiional
2003". We need help. Anybody??? Thanks!
--
Gary in Michigan, USA

boblarson

Sep 29, 2008, 2:50:06 AM9/29/08
How long have you waited to see if it just needs to complete?
--
Bob Larson

Free Tutorials and Samples at http://www.btabdevelopment.com

__________________________________

GaryS

Sep 29, 2008, 8:24:01 AM9/29/08
This hotfix solved my problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674

--
Gary in Michigan, USA

Tony Toews [MVP]

Sep 30, 2008, 3:09:15 PM9/30/08
GaryS <Ga...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>This hotfix solved my problem.
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945674

Very interesting. Thanks for posting your solution. Your problem
isn't mentioned in the KB article.

GaryS

Sep 30, 2008, 3:50:04 PM9/30/08
>>Your problem isn't mentioned in the KB article.<<

I know, and I was REALLY surprised when it worked, but I knew that the
machines that were having the problem had all been "upgraded" to SP3, so it
made sense to try it.

--
Gary in Michigan, USA

Tony Toews [MVP]

Oct 3, 2008, 6:58:37 PM10/3/08
GaryS <Ga...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>>>Your problem isn't mentioned in the KB article.<<
>
>I know, and I was REALLY surprised when it worked, but I knew that the
>machines that were having the problem had all been "upgraded" to SP3, so it
>made sense to try it.

Blogged at
http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/archive/2008/10/03/access-2003-quot-please-wait-while-windows-configures-microsoft-office-professional-edition-2003-quot.aspx

forward.pr...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2008, 8:40:54 PM10/11/08

Some further light: I was having an issue where Access 2003 (using
an .adp) would crash if i Compact/Repaired or tried to set up
Conditional Formatting. When I got in touch with MS (about six months
ago) I was told that it was a known issue but the fix hadn't made it
into SP3 and they didn't have a hot fix yet. The temporary solution
was to shut down the Sql Server service, do my C/R or set up
Conditional Formatting, then restart service. They said it was some
weird interaction between Sql Server 2005, Access 2003 and 2007 on the
same system. This worked but was incredibly irritating. Two weeks ago
I got tired of waiting and emailed the support engineer (very helpful
during the whole process, I must say) and he pointed me to this
hotfix. After installation no more problems. It does make me wonder
though, since this apparently was released in Dec. 07, why I wasn't
pointed here earlier.
Must be lots of wonderful things in this update.....

RobGMiller

Oct 28, 2008, 11:10:05 AM10/28/08
It didn't work for me.

SharePoint server was installed on this Windows 2003 Server. I believe, from
looking at the registry, that it contains some 2007 office components(this
notion needs confirmation).

Then Office Pro 2003 was installed on Drive E. SP3 could not be installed
because of a write error on Drive E:. Lately, some MDEs are showing errors
that do not make sense. I figure it's best to add SP3 and get Access running
as reliably as possible. After hours of research/trial and error I managed to
uninstall Office 2003 on Drive E and reinstall it in the default location.
Then SP3 installed along with all other Office current updates.

Now the Installer comes up everytime Access is launched but not so for Excel
or Word.

I came across this entry by GaryS and installed the KB945674 hot fix. It
came up with the 2003 setup program custom screen and I selected repair.

The hotfix is listed in Add/Remove but cannot be uninstalled. So I try
installing it again. It brought up what looks like the standard office setup
custom window. I picked ReInstrall this time but that didn't solve the
problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--
RobGMiller