Importing Scanned File

delber...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2016, 9:57:04 AM12/8/16
Hello and thank you for any assistance given.

I have a process that I am trying to automate as much as possible. This process involves scanning the model number and serial number of devices return to our building. We are using a small hand held memory scanner to collect the information. The output of the memory scanner is a 2 column csv file.
Column one contains the scanned data and column 2 is the piece count. unfortunately these columns are fix by the scanners firmware. So what I end up with is a file that looks like this;
Example1:
Field1 Field2
------ ------
3635 , 1
BD123456 , 1
BD496820 , 1
BD900193 , 1
7135 , 1
AA889745F , 1
AA122134 , 1
4312 , 1
XFA123456 , 1
4456 , 1
RFX999000 , 1

The entries in Column with 4 characters are the model numbers and the long entries are the serial numbers.

I have an append query that populates a temporary table called tblScannedTemp. This table consist of two columns Model and SerialNbr. My append query take and entry from Field1 that has a length less than 5 characters and appends it to the Model column of the tblScannedTemp, and anything with a length over 5 characters and append it to the SerialNbr column of the tblScannedTemp table. The results of the append query look like this:

Example2:
Model SerialNbr
----- ----------
3635
BD123456
BD496820
BD900193
7135
AA889745F
AA122134
4312
XFA123456
4456
RFX999000

This is what I expected the results to be and this brings my to my quest for assistance. I need the Model to appear in front of the SerialNbr on each line.
This is what I am look for:

Example3:
Model SerialNbr
3635 BD123456
3635 BD496820
3635 BD900193
7135 AA889745F
7135 AA122134
4312 XFA123456
4456 RFX999000

I know that the model number is always scanned before the serial numbers so I am sure the serial numbers and model numbers will line up properly. My question is how do I take appended date as shown in Example2: and create the output as seen in Example3:?

Thanks again for any assistance!