Access is a piece of shit

Robert

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

Microsoft Access is the biggest piece of shit. If you are considering
using any version of Microsoft Access to create any decent application,
you are out of your mind. The implimentation of Visual Basic within
Access is a joke. Anyone who is experienced in using any version of VB
will notice that there was almost no collaboration between projects when
they were in development. Access Basic is basically is big fuck up of VB
and you can't do in Access Basic what you can in Visual Basic. Also,
another idiotic idea that Microsoft had was to integrate all of the
forms, code, reports, tables, etc. etc. into one file. THIS MEANS THAT
WHEN YOU WANT TO UPDATE THE PROGRAM THE DATABASE MUST BE REPLACED!!!
What this means to the programmer is that whenever you want to update a
customers program with the latest and greatest, you must first find a
way to export all of the data from the old database into the new one.
THERE IS NO SEPERATION OF CODE AND DATA! This is a fundamental that is
taught at the lowest level in any computer science or engineering
degree. Is this evidence that people who have designed Microsoft Access
didn't have any basic computer science classes? Obviously, from the way
it was designed, I would have an easier time believing that 152 monkeys
all got together and wrote the code for this product. This product is a
joke and should not be used for any application development. It should
simply be used as a lame excuse for a database and that is it. Anyone
with half a brain will stop and think really hard before they actually
consider developing a real application using only Access for all of the
code AND data. I wouldn't doubt that Microsoft Access was WRITTEN in
Visual Basic.

KISS MY ASS MICKEYSOFT!!!

Mike Painter

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

Robert wrote in message <355C47C8...@sisconet.com>...
<snip>
One would think that such a literate and reasonable fellow would read the
help file or at least look at the tools available.
One would suspect that maybe someone asked him to do a job and he couldn't
solve such a simple task.

Steve Klein

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

When you were involved in "fundamentals that are taught at the lowest level
in any computer science or engineering", did you learn to read or
comprehend what you read? One of the most fundamental and clearest and
most often referred to subjects discussed in any Access help or developer
book points out to separate the tables from the forms.
degree.

Robert <rwma...@sisconet.com> wrote in article
<355C47C8...@sisconet.com>...

Terry Kreft

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

Isn't it nice when the ignorant and rude decide it's time to mouth off.

Robert wrote in message <355C47C8...@sisconet.com>...

[Message Cut to protect the innocent] ...

Doug McKinley

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

Gee, I thought I had been separating the data by putting it in a separate
database and then "attaching" it to another Access database. Read the
user's manual, the on-line help and quit wasting our time. Get a good
night sleep, make up with your girl friend (or boy friend), see a
therapist, go for a walk, or whatever. Everything looks like a piece of
shit if you feel like a piece of shit yourself : )

(From online Helfp) Split an existing database between its data and its
objects
This procedure splits a database into two files: one that contains the
tables and one that contains the queries, forms, reports, macros, and
modules. This way, users who need to access the data can customize their
own forms, reports, and other objects while maintaining a single source of
data on the network.
1 On the Tools menu, point to Add-ins, and then click Database Splitter.
2 Follow the instructions in the Database Splitter Wizard dialog boxes.
--
Doug McKinley

Robert <rwma...@sisconet.com> wrote in article
<355C47C8...@sisconet.com>...

> Microsoft Access is the biggest piece of shit. If you are considering
> using any version of Microsoft Access to create any decent application,
> you are out of your mind. The implimentation of Visual Basic within
> Access is a joke. Anyone who is experienced in using any version of VB
> will notice that there was almost no collaboration between projects when
> they were in development. Access Basic is basically is big fuck up of VB
> and you can't do in Access Basic what you can in Visual Basic. Also,
> another idiotic idea that Microsoft had was to integrate all of the
> forms, code, reports, tables, etc. etc. into one file. THIS MEANS THAT
> WHEN YOU WANT TO UPDATE THE PROGRAM THE DATABASE MUST BE REPLACED!!!
> What this means to the programmer is that whenever you want to update a
> customers program with the latest and greatest, you must first find a
> way to export all of the data from the old database into the new one.
> THERE IS NO SEPERATION OF CODE AND DATA! This is a fundamental that is

> taught at the lowest level in any computer science or engineering

NAGZ

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

Hey ButtFuck,

If you at a level above moron you would have figured out that to prevent
this problem the Data is always kept in a separate .mbd from the program.
This totally eliminate this problem. As for the VB in Access. That doesn't
exist so to say. It's called VBA!!!! Visual Basic for Applications. Once
Again If you had a fuckin clue you would realize the power now available to
interact with any other Application that uses VBA
(Outlook,Schedule++,Word,Excel,PowerPoint,Project etc.)

Maybe you should stick to you Visual Basic NewsGroups where maybe, if we're
lucky you might have some level of intelligence.

Frank Murray

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

I have a sneaking suspicion Access really doesn't care what this particular
individual thinks.

fjm
Terry Kreft wrote in message
<#Bo1CyBg...@uppssnewspub05.moswest.msn.net>...

Rebecca Riordan

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Good lord, I hope you're right...software having opinions of _us_? Keep a
body up at night, that would...

- Rebecca

Terry Kreft

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Hi Frank
I'm sure your right, but I was mainly getting at the fact that I don't need
to see the more colourful language employed in the original message in this
NG.

What I meant was that the original poster was ignorant in that he obviously
doesn't understand Access and rude in the way that he phrased his ignorant
message.

Terry Kreft

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

If it did I know what it would think of me, "heres old fumble fingers back
..."

Rebecca Riordan wrote in message ...

>Good lord, I hope you're right...software having opinions of _us_? Keep a
>body up at night, that would...
>
> - Rebecca

Rebecca Riordan

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Well, at least that's clean....I have a feeling it would think something
_much_ more scatalogical about me. Come to think of it, I could probably
use some new dirty words, mine are getting stale.....hmmm, where is that
voice synthesizer thing-y.....

- Rebecca.

Chris

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

On Fri, 15 May 1998 09:48:56 -0400, Robert <rwma...@sisconet.com>
wrote:

THIS MEANS THAT
>>>WHEN YOU WANT TO UPDATE THE PROGRAM THE DATABASE MUST BE REPLACED!!!
>>>What this means to the programmer is that whenever you want to update a
>>>customers program with the latest and greatest, you must first find a
>>>way to export all of the data from the old database into the new one.

I think he means that if you create a new form, you cannot send the
user the form by itself, as you can in VB, as forms are files with the
.frm extension.

One thing that you could do is create your new form, create a blank
database, import that new form into the blank database, then send the
user the new database containing the one form, then tell them to open
there database and import the new form...... sheesh

Chris

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

sheesh, meaning this sounds like a lot of work

Chris

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

Quite honestly, the only rude messages that I've seen in this thread
are the replies to the poster who started the thread.

Terry Kreft

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

Well Chris,
You have a strange idea of what is meant by rude. IMO someone who rants,
raves and curses with no apparent control is extremely rude the, to my mind,
gentle responses to this behaviour from the other respondents in this thread
I find quite extraordinary.

I could understand your response if you were defending the originators
views, although I would not agree with that, but to defend the way in which
they were expressed I find quite astounding.

Terry Kreft

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

Chris,
Before you go around defending the undefendable try reading what they say,
not putting your intertpretation on what they say.

The original poster clearly states here that they are talking about
exporting and importing data, not about forms, they clearly do not
understand about splitting the database.

Unfortunately your further statements also show your own ignorance on the
matter, in VB you do not send people .frm files you send an updated
executable, in Access you do not send people a database with the extra forms
in, you send a replacement frontend which they then copy into place and use
with there existing data. No Sheesh about it, simple and straightforward.

William Gatees

Chris

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

On Tue, 26 May 1998 17:47:46 +0100, "Terry Kreft"
<terry...@mps.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Chris,
>>>Before you go around defending the undefendable try reading what they say,

>>not putting your intertpretation on what they say.

This is an NG. We have no choice but to interpret what we read which
lends itself to misinterpretation.

>>>The original poster clearly states here that they are talking about
>>>exporting and importing data, not about forms, they clearly do not
>>>understand about splitting the database.
>>>
>>>Unfortunately

It's not unfortunate at all. I'm ignorant about a lot of things and
don't feel the least bit ashamed of it.

your further statements also show your own ignorance on the
>>>matter, in VB you do not send people .frm files you send an updated
>>>executable,

Not always necessarily the case.
Before YOU go around pontificating, realize that your experience with
a particular piece of software is not everyone elses.

in Access you do not send people a database with the extra forms
>>>in, you send a replacement frontend which they then copy into place and use
>>>with there existing data. No Sheesh about it, simple and straightforward.

Thanks for the info.
Now why couldn't you have relayed this info to the original poster so
that he or she could reconsider???
You did nothing but complain about his or her language and then began
to harp on me because I saw some validity in what he or she was
saying.

Chris

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

On Tue, 26 May 1998 17:24:35 +0100, "Terry Kreft"
<terry...@mps.co.uk> wrote:

>>>Well Chris,
>>>You have a strange idea of what is meant by rude. IMO someone who rants,
>>>raves and curses with no apparent control is extremely rude the, to my mind,
>>>gentle responses to this behaviour from the other respondents in this thread
>>>I find quite extraordinary.
>>>
>>>I could understand your response if you were defending the originators
>>>views,

The poster's views and the way in which they were expressed are
seperate issues.

although I would not agree with that, but to defend the way in which
>>>they were expressed I find quite astounding.

Didn't defend them. I simply stated that I didn't see anything rude
except for some of the responses to them.

Terry Kreft

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

Chris,
You are obviously now in that ridiculous mode where you will say anything to
try and appear right.

1) You did not read the original message properly.
2) I believe taht if people want to discuss things they should do so in
a reasonable manner not swearing and cursing simply because they don't
understand what they are doing.
3) I have wasted enough time talking about the same subject from
opposite points of view with you.

swar...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2017, 12:20:37 PM3/24/17
On Friday, 15 May 1998 08:00:00 UTC+1, Robert wrote:
> Microsoft Access is the biggest piece of shit. If you are considering
> using any version of Microsoft Access to create any decent application,
> you are out of your mind. The implimentation of Visual Basic within
> Access is a joke. Anyone who is experienced in using any version of VB
> will notice that there was almost no collaboration between projects when
> they were in development. Access Basic is basically is big fuck up of VB
> and you can't do in Access Basic what you can in Visual Basic. Also,
> another idiotic idea that Microsoft had was to integrate all of the
> forms, code, reports, tables, etc. etc. into one file. THIS MEANS THAT
> WHEN YOU WANT TO UPDATE THE PROGRAM THE DATABASE MUST BE REPLACED!!!
> What this means to the programmer is that whenever you want to update a
> customers program with the latest and greatest, you must first find a
> way to export all of the data from the old database into the new one.
> THERE IS NO SEPERATION OF CODE AND DATA! This is a fundamental that is
> taught at the lowest level in any computer science or engineering
> degree. Is this evidence that people who have designed Microsoft Access
> didn't have any basic computer science classes? Obviously, from the way
> it was designed, I would have an easier time believing that 152 monkeys
> all got together and wrote the code for this product. This product is a
> joke and should not be used for any application development. It should
> simply be used as a lame excuse for a database and that is it. Anyone
> with half a brain will stop and think really hard before they actually
> consider developing a real application using only Access for all of the
> code AND data. I wouldn't doubt that Microsoft Access was WRITTEN in
> Visual Basic.
>
> KISS MY ASS MICKEYSOFT!!!

Can confirm. this is shit

swar...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2017, 12:22:44 PM3/24/17
On Thursday, 28 May 1998 08:00:00 UTC+1, William Gatees wrote:
> I Remember when I was and ignorant ass such as You Robert.
> Then I got a glasses and a beer and sat down and read the book.  I've
> worked with this program for 5 years and I have learned that there is ALWAYS
> a way to do things in it.
>

> WARNING::::::::>
> Some times you may need gray matter to Figure them out.   YOU
> PUTZ!!!!!

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

tstr...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2018, 2:10:43 PM3/23/18
I totally agree. MS Access is a huge POS. When did Microsoft ever think that making a user interface dependent on a database or query object was ever a good idea. Like many have said, there is always a way to come up with workarounds, but the workarounds are always incredibly unintuitive, lame, and bureaucratic. People who defend access simply have not programmed in a real development environment with a real language. The time wasted trying to figure out how to come up with workaround could be better spent learning how to program in .Net or Eclipse. Bottom line, MS Access is for either amateur developers or amateur projects. I will still use it for amateur projects, but will continue to despise it.

braddoug...@gmail.com

May 9, 2019, 8:02:34 PM5/9/19
MICROSOFT CAN LICK MY LEFT NUT FUCKING PLEB CUNTS CREATE THIS PILE OF WANK PROGRAM THAT NO CUNT IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO USE FUCK BILL GATES AND FUCK MICROSOFT FUCKING PILE OF WANKSTAIN COMPANY

sandro.m...@gmail.com

May 28, 2020, 8:41:46 AM5/28/20
I think we do not need to argue whether MS Access is a failure or not. But everyone using it is a failure. I despise people needing a GUI for everything they do.

Elijah Flynt

Mar 13, 2021, 10:22:37 AM3/13/21
On Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 8:41:46 AM UTC-4, sandro.m...@gmail.com wrote:
> I think we do not need to argue whether MS Access is a failure or not. But everyone using it is a failure. I despise people needing a GUI for everything they do.
uh. yeah.