Microsoft Office Web Components not supported

r...@rceweb.com

Feb 4, 2004, 12:41:12 PM2/4/04
Is there a way to set-up a Data Access Page on a web server that
claims they do not support Microsoft Office Web Components because of
security reason? I would like to use DSN-less connections.

Thanks

Sylvain Lafontaine

Feb 4, 2004, 2:34:20 PM2/4/04
Microsoft Office Web Components are HTML pages working on the client side,
so there is no need for support on the web server if you are using
SQL-Server as the backend end.

For using an Access MDB file as the backend, the JET provider doesn't work
over TCP/IP, so you need support for RDS on the web server, which is
strongly discouraged by Microsoft; or use XML to transport the recordsets
back and forth, which need a good knowledge of databases, DAP and XML.

DAP use pure OLEDB providers only, which are always DSN-less connections.
DSN connections are for ODBC providers or for OLEDB/ODBC hybride providers.

S. L.

<r...@rceweb.com> wrote in message

r...@rceweb.com

Feb 4, 2004, 8:48:22 PM2/4/04
I still don't understand ... I set up a DSN on the web server and I
still can't get it to connect. I have spend hours and hours
researching all the posts here and trying all different suggestions
and no luck. All I need to know is how do I get the connection string
to work? Do I add it in access? If so where? Do I add it in the htm
file created by access for the data access page? If so where?
I usually use dreamweaver mx with an access data file, then I build
the asp pages. I thought I would try data access pages because I like
the way I can build the pages. I just can't understand the connection
string concept... surely it acnnot be this difficult.

Ralph

Sylvain Lafontaine

Feb 4, 2004, 11:41:30 PM2/4/04
If you are using an Access database file as the backend for your data, it's
not difficult, it's impossible. Access and DAP pages must use RDS to
communicate with an mdb file over the Internet and your provider doesn't
have it installed, for security purpose. Setting a DSN on the web server
doesn't change anything to it.

If you are on a LAN or on your local machine or if you are using SQL-Server,
then your DAP pages will work correctly; even without RDS.

If your provider gives you access to RDS, the following links will show you
how to configure it:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291783
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnacc2k2/html/deploydap.asp

My suggestion: stick with ASP pages; as they are far more easier to use.

S. L.

and your provider doesn't give you access to the