In MS Money Plus is it possible to set up values that people owe me?

Gustavo S. N.

Jan 18, 2021, 2:11:47 PM1/18/21
to microso...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!

My people owe me for my services. I would like to know how do I keep track of it on MS Money Plus.

If I owe someone I can use a Libility account for it. But what if people owe me?

Gustavo S. N.

Jan 18, 2021, 2:32:22 PM1/18/21
to Microsoft Money
Sorry, let me rephrase my question.

I would like to set up expected gains. An example: Bob owes me U$ 100 and he's supposed to pay me that amount next week. So I will only have these U$ 100 in my bank account next week.

I believe it should work as the opposite of scheduled bills: the bill I have to pay in the future won't decrease my bank account value until payment date.

So I was wondering if I could set up amounts that people owe me in the future, like Bob from the exemple aboe (Bob is a fictitious name).

First Last

Jan 18, 2021, 2:54:01 PM1/18/21
to Microsoft Money
I've used Cash account to handle something like this in the past. If it is something simple as

On Jan 01, 2021 I've lent Bob $100. I've wrote him a check from my checking account
   * In my checking account, transfer $100 to "Lending Cash" (paid to Bob)

On Feb 01, 2021, Bob paid back $50, and I deposit his check to checking account
  * transfer $50 from "Lending Cash" to saving account (paid by Bob)

You can use a general "Lending Cash" or create one specific for Bob

For the latter, you can see the current balance Bob Landing Cash is $50

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Jan 18, 2021, 5:01:10 PM1/18/21
to Microsoft Money

Here is a real-life example for you.  I charged camping reservations for other family members, and they owed me.  I used the category: Transfer To: Future Receivables.  On 6/18, Joey's reservation was cancelled, the camping fee was reimbursed on my Discover Card, so he only owed me for Hoffmaster State Park $8 reservation fee + $10 cancellation fee.  After they reimbursed me, the account was zeroed out for those transactions.

future receivables.png

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Jan 18, 2021, 5:06:11 PM1/18/21
to Microsoft Money
If you'd like the ability to create invoices for your services, replace your Money program with the Home & Business Plus Sunset version ;)

Doris Tomlin

Jan 18, 2021, 6:29:45 PM1/18/21
to Gustavo S. N., Microsoft Money
My solution to this was to create an expense category for each person or entity that owed me money, for example
Jason Owes Me
Tomlins Owe Me
Trapps Owe Me
I only have about half a dozen such categories. When I make a loan or buy something for the person, I assign the expense to that category. When I am repaid, I assign it as a negative expense; that is, I put it in the Received or Deposit or Credit column. MS Money always asks "Save this deposit that's categorized as expense?" and I just answer Yes. There is an option to turn off the warning, but I haven't bothered to do that in many years that I've been using MS Money.

image.png

If you know when you expect to be paid back, you can enter the payment in your register on a future date. If there will be regular payments, say monthly, you can even make it a recurring "expense" and the future payments will all be reflected in your cash flow report.

Gustavo S. N.

Jan 25, 2021, 8:43:50 AM1/25/21
to Doris Tomlin, Microsoft Money
Thanks. This seems an interesting solution. I'll try it 😁