Money performance tuning

Paul Stockinger

Mar 20, 2021, 2:21:41 PM3/20/21
to Microsoft Money
Hello,

Longtime user (1994) and big time fan of the product. My file, after various archiving, was around 49MB. I used the Clear Historical Prices to prune another 6MB off to get it into the 43MB range, but still find that Money can be punky on certain tasks. Namely, clicking Enter In Register from Bills summary screen into the account. It usually seizes up the app for at least 1 minute. It seems long. Is this a common experience?

I used Sunriise and it looks like the bulk of my data is in SP and TRN.

I didn't know if the database had anything we could do to performance tune the database like you can do with SQL by indexing columns and such.

Thank you for any tips and insights,
Paul

Cal Learner

Mar 20, 2021, 2:29:01 PM3/20/21
to Microsoft Money
File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData

This Remove All Bills Data feature would be for people who have experienced their Money file to run excessively slow.

To get some information within the program,
File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData
Read the information. Then click cancel.

Before proceeding, make an extra copy or backup of your file in case you want to undo something.

The problem will be that if you remove all bills, you will probably want to add at least some of your bills back.  This can be done manually with the aid of the reports that you print out before removing the bills.

A technique that could help simplify re-entering your bills afterward would be to go your register and selecting a representative instance of your past bill and selecting "Make Recurring" (Ctrl+E).  This would be especially helpful if the bill is complex, such as involving a split.

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Mar 20, 2021, 2:39:54 PM3/20/21
to Microsoft Money
If you haven't done so already, make sure you disconnect Money from the Internet using Windows Firewall.  See https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/eliminating-the-online-updatingdelays-and-errors-when-opening-money/

Paul Stockinger

Mar 22, 2021, 9:00:39 PM3/22/21
to Microsoft Money
Thank you so much Cal and Ameridan! Rebuilding the Bills made a night and day difference. Norton Firewall already seemed to have Money blocked.

Ian Trusson

Mar 23, 2021, 7:02:10 AM3/23/21
to Microsoft Money

Cal

I notice there is no File->Repair->RemoveAllBillsData facility provided on the UK version of Money. Here I have a long list of bills and operation is not too slow on my PC at present but if in the future I need to delete them all and start again would it be sufficient to delete them manually one by one?

Ian

Cal Learner

Mar 24, 2021, 10:16:53 PM3/24/21
to Microsoft Money
Ian T: I don't know if deleting all of your bills has a similar effect to the RemoveAllBillsData.
You might try it on a copy of your file, with a different name of course.

I have not used bills, except to experiment with a test file or two.