UAC: Money Plus US DMRL Bits

Cal Learner

Dec 31, 2020, 11:14:51 AM12/31/20
to Microsoft Money
I have been using a scheduler that runs a batch file that runs PockeSense and starts Microsoft Money. Something new has happened.

The task continued to run. I set the scheduler to stop the task after 4 hours.
In the Task Manager, I found MSMoney.exe listed as a task owned by my regular user, but the Image Name only appeared after I ticked "Show processes from all users." The User Name was listed as my regular user. I did "End Process Tree" on the process.

Now when I start Money, I get a UAC popup:
 Program name:Money Plus US DMRL Bits
 Verified publisher: Microsoft Corporation.

I have rebooted. My next step would be to reinstall Money, and to put the patched mnyob99.dll into place.

But first I wanted to see if somebody had some suggestions or info. Thanks.

Cal Learner

Dec 31, 2020, 1:55:49 PM12/31/20
to Microsoft Money

More info: I tried uninstall and reinstall, and re-patch. Same symptom.  Starting Money in a RunAsAdministrator command window works, whether I launching msmoney.exe , or whether I run the name of the *.mny file. This is workable if that is the best I can do, but I am still experimenting. I get the UAC if I use RunAsAdministrator for the Money launch entry in the start menu.

I never saw  a "DMRL Bits" UAC until today.

"DMRL" does not occur in the registry, as a key, value, or data.
"DMRL Bits" occurs in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\  in 110 files after reinstall
"m" occurs in 293 files, for comparison.

"DMRL Bits"  does not appear in Bing, Google, or the search for the old Microsoft  forum.

I am considering uninstall,  deleting some AppData\Local\Microsoft\ folders that have Money stuff in them, reinstall, repatch.

This occurred after making changes to my Scheduler task, including Run whether user is logged on or not.

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Dec 31, 2020, 2:55:07 PM12/31/20
to Microsoft Money
It sounds like one of the files you experimented with to help a forum client somehow introduced a virus.  As a reference Cal, DMRL doesn't occur once in my Microsoft Money Plus folder, and your strategy of a clean install sounds like the best strategy.

Cal Learner

Dec 31, 2020, 2:59:24 PM12/31/20
to Microsoft Money
I have no file that contains "DMRL" in the filename. I searched the contents of all of the files and found the occurrences of  "DMRL Bits"

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Dec 31, 2020, 3:06:06 PM12/31/20
to Microsoft Money
That's what I meant; I did a search for DMRL, and not one file contained that string.

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Dec 31, 2020, 3:11:10 PM12/31/20
to Microsoft Money
m occurs 350 times for me, but I have the Home & Business version.

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Dec 31, 2020, 3:15:31 PM12/31/20
to Microsoft Money
Maybe you could try out creating "Money files" by running "USMoneyDlxSunset.exe /T:path /C"  while your doing the reinstall, to see if the dll patch can be rolled into the install.

Cal Learner

Dec 31, 2020, 3:16:40 PM12/31/20
to Microsoft Money
Thanks Ameridan. Hmm. I used Agent Ransack for my searching.

I wondered what would happen if I set the shortcut in the Start menu to "Run this program as an administrator". I was surprised that was ticked already. I cleared that box, and the symptom disappeard on the things I have tried so far. Weird. I will need to do further testing, including my batch file and the scheduler.

Cal Learner

Dec 31, 2020, 3:38:23 PM12/31/20
to Microsoft Money
Note that "Money Plus US DMRL Bit" is in Unicode rather than ASCII.
mnyob99.dll is one of the files that contains that string.

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Dec 31, 2020, 4:16:52 PM12/31/20
to Microsoft Money
I only have File Explorer.

First Last

Jan 15, 2021, 5:18:40 PMJan 15
to Microsoft Money
I updated my *.mny export tool to add a menu to show disk space breakdown for each of *.mny internal table. The column is sortable (click to sort)

image.png