Money Sunset does not recognize password when converting from older version of MS Money

Dave H.

Feb 4, 2021, 5:05:35 PMFeb 4
to Microsoft Money
Hi All,

I'm running Money Sunset Deluxe on W10.  I have some old archived money files which were created in older versions of MS Money (I think it was Money 97).  When I try to open them in Sunset, I get a message asking if I want to convert from the old file version to which I answer YES (which is what I want to do).  Sunset then prompts me for my password - which I have never changed throughout my 20+ year history of using MS Money.  And the password that *should* work does not.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

Best Regards,
Dave

Bob Smiley

Feb 4, 2021, 5:43:33 PMFeb 4
to Microsoft Money
Money 97 files cannot be opened in Money Sunset. The older file used a different database which Money Sunset cannot use. You'll have to get a copy of Money 2004 and convert to that format first, then that file can be opened in Money Sunset.

Whenever you see a password error message trying to open an older file, it means that Money tried to read the database, but there was some problem and the password could not decrypt the file correctly. Usually, it is either due to an older database, or due to the file being created in a different country's version. It gives that error message instead of the correct problem.

Bob

Dave H.

Feb 4, 2021, 5:53:10 PMFeb 4
to Microsoft Money