Corrupted file

Gilogie

Apr 27, 2021, 4:55:45 PM4/27/21
to Microsoft Money
Hi there,
I am using money since 2004 (version is Microsoft money 2004). I never had any problem till few weeks ago. When I opened the file, money crashed and restarted. So I tried to open again and it says : "Microsoft money had detected that you didn't close the back up forlder 'xxxx' before quitting. Money wants to check the data state of the folder. If your folder is big, this processus can takes few minutes. Would you like that Money check it now ?"
So I replied "yes", and then i have this pop up windows sying "the folder is damaged or it isn't a folder from Microsoft Money. The attempt of fixing folder failed. Open a last back up copy to access to your datas". And some how, it says also that my password isn't correct, and it's the same since 10 years !
My problem is that the last back up was early August 2020.
I try to get the back up from online 'https://online.officerecovery.com/fr/recover-corrupted-money-file-online/' but it doesn't work.
I tried to fix the file from the option of Money but it didn't work out eather/
Any ideas about what to do ?
Thanks

Cal Learner

Apr 27, 2021, 8:59:52 PM4/27/21
to Microsoft Money
UK?

What version is your Money installation.

I know you are already reviewing your backup practices, and I hope you inspired others to do so.

Gilogie

May 1, 2021, 5:27:58 PM5/1/21
to Microsoft Money
Hey Cal,

Thanks for your reply.
The money version is 12.0. Does it help to find a solution ?

Bob Smiley

May 1, 2021, 7:06:32 PM5/1/21
to Microsoft Money
First, go to the folder where you keep your Money file. Is the extension on the file ".mny"? Make sure that your folder view settings allow you to see extensions for known file types. If the extension is not ".mny", what is it?
You don't have the file within a zip folder by any chance? Make sure that your file is in your Documents folder to make sure that you have full permissions to use it.
There may be an additional file with the extension ".lrd". If that file exists, delete it. It is a "lock" file that lets Money know that your file is currently open and shouldn't try opening it again.

You may want to get the 2005 version of French Money. However, once you open your file in Money 2005, you won't be able to open it in 2004 again.

Bob

Cal Learner

May 2, 2021, 12:27:56 PM5/2/21
to Microsoft Money
Keep a copy of your *.mny and *.mbf files on other media, such as a USB flash drive. In particular, keep a copy of your *.mbf files.

There are some repairs you can try with version 12:

In Money 2004 do File->RepairMoneyFile->QuickFileRepair
If the problem continues,
File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

If the problem persists,
File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 1

If these don't get you in, restore your latest backup (*.mbf). I would choose a new name for the restored file, rather than use the default name.

If any of these choices don't exist for you, let us know.

Bob Smiley, who I learned the most expert stuff from, said

"Personally, I'd run the Quick Repair, then the Standard Repair
(level 2), then the Quick Repair again.

The quick repair and the standard repair work on completely
different issues in the database.  It is possible that quick repair
may expose something that standard needs to fix, and the repair
that standard fixes may need to have quick repair to finish the
issue.  Anytime you want to fix an issue, always run Quick -
Standard - Quick.  "
Message has been deleted

Gilogie

May 3, 2021, 6:27:31 AM5/3/21
to Microsoft Money

Thanks Cal for your reply.
Yes I saved the originals files on usb :
     - my latest working mbf : August 2017

     - my latest working mny in August 2020

     - Corrupted fils : April 2021

I try to repair the corruptes files mny at level 2 (It is something that I had already done) and it didn't work out. Then I try the level 1. It told me it worked, but I couldn't open it. I wanted to do the level 2 again, mais strangly it doesn't give me the option again :
I deleated all .lrd files. But nothing happened either. And I always have « the wrong password answer »

Gilogie

May 3, 2021, 6:34:54 AM5/3/21
to Microsoft Money
Thanks Bob for your answer.
Well, I do have the extension .mny for the corrupted files, and for the last back up in August 2020 and NOT mbf (except for the back up of August 2017)
I do not have the file in zip folder.
I did have at some point this .lrd, but yes I delete it every time I see it !
For the 2005 money version, it is only a patch, right ? Ant like you said, i have to download this one : Money 2005 French – QFE3. Shall in install it without uniinstall money 2004 ?
It says on "your" link : "[updated 10/29/2020; 2/3/2021 (Microsoft appears to have removed all of the download files related to Microsoft Money from their servers on 2/1/2021)]"
As the fixing part didn't work out, what and how exactly shall I do with the 2005 patch ?
Thanks

Cal Learner

May 3, 2021, 10:38:00 PM5/3/21
to Microsoft Money
I would not install Money 2005. What version of Money 2004 do you have? UK, North America, International?

If you wanted to experiment with a later version, I would do that on a different computer.

Gilogie

May 4, 2021, 3:50:24 PM5/4/21
to Microsoft Money

How do I know which version I have ? Where to find the answer ?

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

May 4, 2021, 4:34:46 PM5/4/21
to Microsoft Money

Determining what version of Money you have installed

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\msmoney.exe

Right-click on the file    and select Properties.   Product name and version will be revealed after you select the Details tab...

I don't think that tells you which country version you have though.

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

May 4, 2021, 4:42:10 PM5/4/21
to Microsoft Money
If Money will run, a better way is to select Help, and then select About Money.

Cal Learner

May 4, 2021, 9:51:32 PM5/4/21
to Microsoft Money
I think Bob was right, and the help will be in French.

Gilogie

May 5, 2021, 3:41:18 AM5/5/21
to Microsoft Money
thanks Ameridan for your reply. You are right, it doesn't give me which country.
Here is a print screen of the details version :

version money.JPG
Bob was right about installing the 2005 patch ?
If yes, I should not uninstall 2004, right ?

Cal Learner

May 5, 2021, 1:58:26 PM5/5/21
to Microsoft Money
I would not install Money 2005, but it would have to be the French edition I think.

Money 2005 was designed to have more of its stuff provided by servers that are no longer there. So I would not jump into in. You cannot go back.

Trying French Money 2005 on a different computer might be worth a try. Maybe it could repair or open your Money 2004 *.mny file, but I doubt it. I suspect you may only get back to your August MBF file. Sorry. That doesn't mean that you should not try things.

Confirm that you have tried Level 2 and Level 1 file repairs.

Gilogie

May 5, 2021, 3:59:17 PM5/5/21
to Microsoft Money
Thanks Cal for your reply.
It is very shame that I cannot do anything else !
I guess it isn't possible to install MM 2005 on Linux ?!
Yes, I tried Level 1 : which work but it doesn't open the file, and Level 2 which doesn't work !

Gilogie

May 18, 2021, 6:07:42 PM5/18/21
to Microsoft Money

Hi Cal, Bob, Ameridan,

I guess this will be the last message cause I guess there is no way to fix the file. I wanna make sure that there is not other solution.
I only tried to fix through Money the corrupted file : first with level 1 which worked and then level 2 which failed.
Cal you said that you won't try money 2005, I am not sure to understand how it isn''t possible to go back to 2004 version if it doesn't work either with 2005 version ?
Thanks by advance for your time guys.

Cal Learner

May 18, 2021, 11:24:04 PM5/18/21
to Microsoft Money

I suggested that you try 2005 on a different computer, because I did not think it was likely to help. While it is not that hard to install Money 2004 on a computer, and revert that, it would be easier if the experiment was done on a different computer. If you have no other computer to try it on, and you have the Money 2004 install media, you could probably do a system backup and restore if you want to be back to Money 2004. I am not implying that Money 2005 is not almost as good for you as 2004.

I think since Money 2004 was not as dependent on servers that are no longer there, that sticking with Money 2004 is probably the better choice on balance.

Cal Learner

May 19, 2021, 11:23:32 AM5/19/21
to Microsoft Money
One more thing: When you do a standard file repair, it actually invokes salv.exe.
The newest version of salv.exe is included with Sunset. That salv.exe should work on a French Money 2004 file. I doubt there was improvement over salv.exe that is in your Money installation that would make a difference in your file, but you could try. I have never heard of anybody where the 2004 salv.exe failed and the newer one succeeded. It seems unlikely. But it seems possible, just as it is possible for a coin flip to come up heads 16 times in a row. To use that file, no installation is needed.

Sunset salv.exe is 67,952 bytes long.  MD5 is 71a64bb744b8639f1366064bcb332c2d and SHA1 is 9589f8ce77b989d6baf2a81e6af0ea847975306f.

Gilogie

May 22, 2021, 2:18:36 AM5/22/21
to Microsoft Money
Thanks Cal for your reply.
I don't have other computer where I can install Money 2005 as the other one is on Linux.
I didn't understand about the salv.exe. How shall I do to replace the salv.exe I have to the sunset salv.exe ?
Thanks