Turn off Microsoft Money Insights

G. K. Ehrlich

Sep 30, 2020, 2:53:26 PM9/30/20
to Microsoft Money
I need to disable Money Insights in Windows 10.  I'm running Money Sunset.  The instructions in the help file are incorrect.

Got any help?  Thanks!
G. K. Ehrlich

Cal Learner

Sep 30, 2020, 4:25:06 PM9/30/20
to Microsoft Money
This is from my notes:
Look in the tray to see if there is an icon to control Insights -- a blue circle with a white M.

I see there is an icon off of my Start Menu for Insights. AllPrograms->MicrosoftMoneyPlus->Insights. It points to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\mnyinsit.exe"

If you launch that, it may have a control.  I just launched it. It put an M icon into the tray. (You probably won't have to launch, because Insights is already running.) Right-clicking that gave Options. You could try un-ticking everything. I then tried Exit. That gave me a pop-up that said "You have chosen to exit Insights. Would you like Insights to run the next time you log on to Windows?" I selected No.

That will probably fix it for you. If , you might prevent the automatic starting from occurring from MSConfig. Or if nothing else works, you might rename/delete mnyinsit.exe

G. K. Ehrlich

Oct 1, 2020, 5:16:44 PM10/1/20
to Microsoft Money
I'll try the recycle bin as you suggest, Cal.
I'm grateful for your help!
G.

Bob S

Dec 11, 2020, 7:26:08 PM12/11/20
to Microsoft Money
As Cal suggested, I found the mnyinsit and deleted it but it came back, and then I renamed it, and that did not work either.  Then I searched for it again, and found there was a shortcut for it.  I erased the target for the shortcut, which was mnyinsit, and for good measure deleted the shortcut.   That finally worked.  Thank you very much to Cal and everybody else on this board.  I did not even know what mnyinsit was, so I would not have had a clue how to do this on my own.  I do know I have been using Money since 1994 - Money 2.0 - and I really like it, do not know what I would do without it, and appreciate all of your help in keeping this excellent program up and running.   I am installing it now onto Windows 10 and since I can now install the backup from a Windows 7 computer, I think it may be ok  for another decade or so.  Thanks again.