Old MS Money files - which version of Windows do I need ?

Cephas

Mar 29, 2021, 3:59:53 AM3/29/21
to Microsoft Money

I originally purchased MS Money for Windows 95, and have quite a few of the MNY files that I need to view, update and then export to QIF format. I do have the Works Suite 2004 , which includes Microsoft Money Standard . There is a product key on the back of the CD.

Had plans to use an old laptop and install Windows 8.1 to do all this, but it looks like in all the installation attempts, the HDD is now giving serious concern. Whatever version of Windows is suitable, it needs to be able to use the MS Money from the 2004 Works Suite, to open the MNY files, view, update and export.

When I have been able to determine what Windows version to aim for, then the search for a suitable (refurbished/used) laptop will be much easier.

Can someone please advise what Windows version I should aim for ?  Meaning, Windows 8.x or Windows 10, or even Windows 7.x ??

Cal Learner

Mar 29, 2021, 4:28:16 AM3/29/21
to Microsoft Money

Dominic Payer

Mar 29, 2021, 4:43:48 AM3/29/21
to Microsoft Money
Windows 7, 8 and 10 can all run any version of Microsoft Money.

Depending on your location you could update to Money Sunset if you are in the US or Canada, or Money 2005 QFE2 UK or Money 2005 QFE2 International.

You could replace the HDD in the old laptop with an SSD, assuming the laptop is not so old that it has an ATA drive.
Windows 7 and 8 can still be upgraded to Windows 10 for free. Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade
The free BelArc Advisor will retrieve any product keys and show the hardware so that you can check that there are Windows 10 drivers for all the hardware devices.

Cephas

Mar 29, 2021, 5:14:23 PM3/29/21
to Microsoft Money
@Cal Learner - great, thanks for those links

Cephas

Mar 29, 2021, 5:29:36 PM3/29/21
to Microsoft Money
>Windows 7, 8 and 10 can all run any version of Microsoft Money.

Okay thanks, but can any version of Microsoft Money read the Win95 Money data files ?

>Depending on your location you could update to Money Sunset if you are in the US or Canada, or Money 2005 QFE2 UK or Money 2005 QFE2 International.

We are Australia and I see from the link that Cal supplied there is a version there for Australia, thanks.

>You could replace the HDD in the old laptop with an SSD, assuming the laptop is not so old that it has an ATA drive.

Well it certainly seems possible, a video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UwIh92EW5o , yet there maybe other issues with the laptop. It was found in an old dumpster and hass a smashed screen, so spending say AUD $200 for a reasonably powered used laptop may be the way to go ?

Good to know that Win 7 and 8 can be upgraded to 10 for free. The Belarc Advisor looks to be a very handy tool to record drivers, etc, thanks.  :)

Dominic Payer

Mar 29, 2021, 6:24:05 PM3/29/21
to Microsoft Money
In principle, any later version of Money should be able to read the Money 95 - Money 4 - data files but I do not know of anyone who has proved that Money 12 or later can do that.

If all you want to do is extract data from the old files I suggest you install a Windows 10 trial version and a suitable version of Money International in Hyper-V, if you have Windows Pro or Enterprise, or in Virtualbox if not.
Once the data has been extracted you can erase the installation.

Cephas

Mar 29, 2021, 6:51:26 PM3/29/21
to Microsoft Money
>In principle, any later version of Money should be able to read the Money 95 - Money 4 - data files but I do not know of anyone who has proved that Money 12 or later can do that.

I may be best to kep away from Windows 10 as the article at https://windowsreport.com/microsoft-money-windows-10-2/ states - "Even though Microsoft Money Sunset offers the same features as its predecessors, we have to mention that certain features are missing. For example, you cannot import data files from non-US versions of Microsoft Money." , and we are Australia.

Dominic Payer

Mar 30, 2021, 1:24:37 AM3/30/21
to Microsoft Money
Microsoft Money versions  have never been able to import data from different regional data files.
This has nothing to do with the version of Windows they run on.

Windows 10 can be installed without a product key and will run with reduced functionality.

Cephas

Mar 30, 2021, 3:46:19 AM3/30/21
to Microsoft Money
>Windows 10 can be installed without a product key and will run with reduced functionality.

Was able to install Win 8.1 today and then install Money from Money 2005 International English QFE2  .  MS Money opened okay in Win 8.1 .  Are there any patches or updates I should apply ?

Dominic Payer

Mar 30, 2021, 3:50:27 AM3/30/21
to Microsoft Money
The QFE2 versions of Money are final.
There are no updates to apply.

Cephas

Mar 30, 2021, 3:37:06 PM3/30/21
to Microsoft Money
>The QFE2 versions of Money are final.There are no updates to apply

Okay thanks.  :)