Money 2004 Import Issues

rustyfender04

Jan 2, 2021, 10:15:07 PMJan 2
to Microsoft Money
Hi all,

Since the last time I balanced my credit card account, new downloaded transactions are not matching up with manually entered items, and when I try to match transactions individually, my manually entered transactions are not listed on the matching page.

Is this issue caused by a faulty .OFX file download, or is my Money file corrupted?

Cal Learner

Jan 3, 2021, 1:14:07 AMJan 3
to Microsoft Money
I would do a quick file repair. If no joy, do a standard level 2 repair (salv.exe). Then do another quick repair.

rustyfender04

Jan 3, 2021, 12:41:33 PMJan 3
to Microsoft Money
Thanks, Cal.

I followed your suggestions, but there doesn't appear to be any file corruption according to the log file.

However, upon further investigation, the .OFX file has incorrect dates for all transactions dated after 12/23/2020, so that tells me the financial institution is at fault. I opened the .OFX file with Notepad, and I did a find and replace for all dates listed with December 2021 and converted said dates with the correct dates.

The file imported correctly, and things look OK for the moment. I'll contact the financial institution (Synchrony) next week and explain what happened.

Hopefully, the January statement will balance out correctly in a few weeks :-)

Cal Learner

Jan 3, 2021, 4:34:09 PMJan 3
to Microsoft Money
How wrong are the dates? Where do these OFX files come from -- PocketSense, or your bank/broker's website?

rustyfender04

Jan 3, 2021, 7:21:04 PMJan 3
to Microsoft Money
The dates (after 12/23/2020) were dated for the month of December 2021. I downloaded the file from the financial institution's web site.

What is Pocket Sense? Is that like Microsoft Money?

Cal Learner

Jan 3, 2021, 11:17:59 PMJan 3
to Microsoft Money
The dates (after 12/23/2020) were dated for the month of December 2021. I downloaded the file from the financial institution's web site.
Oops, If you can look at the OFX file with notepad, dates will be in the form yyyymmdd and some more characters. I mention that to make sure that the OFX says that. Probably does, and they have a  coding error. I have not heard of that before. It would be possible to make a program to modify OFX files to change the dates that are far in the future back a year. But your bank may fix this.

If that persists, I could probably write that program in Python.

What is Pocket Sense? Is that like Microsoft Money?
It can get OFX files from some financial institutions (mainly US credit cards and brokers), and present them to Money. It can fix up some files you download via the web, but it does not have that fix in it!

rustyfender04

Jan 22, 2021, 8:51:34 PMJan 22
to Microsoft Money
Can you post a link to Pocket Sense?

One other issue...since our bank (different than the one stated above) upgraded to a newer web site, Money cannot import their OFX files (Money says they are corrupted), and even their Quicken downloads cannot be converted to OFX either due to file corruption.

Capture.JPG

Quicken file error when I try to conver to OFXt with MT2OFX program...

https://csmale.home.xs4all.nl/mt2ofx/en/

Capture2.JPG

If I post a sanitized copy of an OFX file, can you spot any coding errors?

rustyfender04

Jan 22, 2021, 8:54:21 PMJan 22
to Microsoft Money
How do I edit a typing mistake?

Cal Learner

Jan 24, 2021, 2:35:47 PMJan 24
to Microsoft Money
"If I post a sanitized copy of an OFX file, can you spot any coding errors?"
Good chance.
tinyupload.com is a good place to post the actual sanitized file, and you post the URL here. Try not to over-sanitize, such as changing amounts. Payees and IDs you can change freely.
Quick check ...  see if there are any ampersands in the file.

I don't know how  you can edit your post. Can you delete it, and re-post what you wanted to post?

rustyfender04

Mar 4, 2021, 9:54:17 PMMar 4
to Microsoft Money
Looking at my bank's OFX file, there is quite a bit of data to go over, and the file is not formatted cleanly (everything runs together). You said above that Pocket Sense can correct some OFX file errors? Is that program hard to install and configure/?

rustyfender04

Mar 4, 2021, 9:57:34 PMMar 4
to Microsoft Money
If Money 2004 can't read my banks OFX file, does that mean the file is corrupted? Does the OFX format change from time to time to where legacy software cannot read it?

William Becker

Mar 4, 2021, 11:18:56 PMMar 4
to Microsoft Money
Here's a link to a program to format OFX files in a more readable format:

And this link:
is to a program that will analyze the OFX file for errors.  The OFX format doesn't change but bank and credit card web sites sometimes screw up their downloads so that they don't exactly meet the standard and Money doesn't like that.

Ameridan (microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com)

Mar 5, 2021, 11:40:02 AMMar 5
to Microsoft Money
Thank you for reminding me of these articles William.  I added the viewer article contents to the OFX Analyzer Reference page today, and based on one of the comments, I also added a clarification: (download “Money 2005 and 2006” if you own Money 2007 or Sunset).

-ameridan

rustyfender04

Mar 6, 2021, 5:46:34 PMMar 6
to Microsoft Money
Yes, there are ampersands in the file, such as AT&T (AT&T).

This is a rather large file, and is there a safe way to truncate it without posting months worth of data?

rustyfender04

Mar 19, 2021, 5:09:43 PMMar 19
to Microsoft Money
*bump*
Message has been deleted

Cal Learner

Mar 19, 2021, 8:05:44 PMMar 19
to Microsoft Money
I think you are saying that you don't want to post a lot of past transactions etc. Websites often have a way to specify what dates you want. That would be easiest.

 There is a way to edit an OFX file in an editor such as Notepad, to remove transactions. They are usually in chronological order. Transactions start with
<STMTTRN>
 and end in
 </STMTTRN>

Dates follow
<DTPOSTED>
and are in the form yyyymmdd etc.
Thus
<DTPOSTED>20210314180000.000
would be a purchase posted March 3 2021  at time 14:18 (2:18 pm).

https://filebin.net/ is a place I like to upload to. They give you a link that is good for a week. Post the link.

For sanitizing remove peoples names (my credit card transactions never have those) plus the <ACCTID> which is your credit card number. Just modify your credit card number to be 123456789012345.