Yasson for inclusion in MicroProfile

Derek Moore

Sep 4, 2017, 1:40:03 PM9/4/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I'm already using JSON-B RI Yasson in my microservices development in preference to raw JSON-P.

I'm beginning to advocate for the nascent MP libs at work in addition to things I'm already pulling forward from Java EE 8.

Can Yasson be considered for inclusion in upcoming MicroProfile point releases? Does MP have to wait for Java EE 8?

Mike Croft

Sep 4, 2017, 4:20:36 PM9/4/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
MicroProfile doesn't *have* to wait for Java EE 8. We have discussed the addition of JSON-B (the API rather than Yasson, the implementation) as well as upgrading other specs. The consensus seems to be that it is all wanted, but should form a "2.0" release of MicroProfile.

I'm certainly very much in favour of JSON-B, though, I really like it.

Werner Keil

Sep 4, 2017, 5:02:34 PM9/4/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Both JSON-P (already included) and JSON-B are fairly independent of other JSRs or APIs. JSON-B requires JSON-P but that's more or less it on the API side. I think it should be possible to include, but the more additional parts are considered, the more important a proper BOM becomes. Where certain features like JSON-B (or even JSON-P, take MP Config which does not use any other API but CDI ;-) should be optional.

Werner

Kevin Sutter

Sep 5, 2017, 9:54:36 AM9/5/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Fully agree, Mike.  Including JSON-B API in a future rev of MicroProfile is definitely in our plans.  But, since we don't want to put undo pressure on our vendors to support Java EE 8 technologies at this point, we are considering an alternate versioning path such as 2.x for Java EE 8.  We would then increment all of our other base Java EE technologies as well -- CDI 2.0, JAX-RS 2.1, and JSON-P 1.1.

We appreciate the interest in MicroProfile, Derek.  Thanks!

--  Kevin