MicroProfile Working Group

Mike Milinkovich

Mar 27, 2020, 1:24:28 PM3/27/20
to MicroProfile

All,

The Eclipse Foundation has put forward two different governance models to the MicroProfile community that would have MicroProfile participate as part of a broader industry initiative. Based on the negative feedback received by some in the MicroProfile community, we would like to call on the MicroProfile community to take charge of its own destiny by immediately initiating the process of creating an independent MicroProfile Working Group. This mainly requires the development of a draft charter for approval, and the recruitment of members to join the working group. The Eclipse Foundation will provide input and guidance, but as with all new working groups we look to the MicroProfile community to lead this initiative.

As initial guidance for the timely creation of your working group, we would point to the following requirements:

  1. Vendor neutrality is the core value of the Eclipse Foundation. The governance of and participation in the MicroProfile Working Group must be demonstrably vendor neutral.

  2. The MicroProfile Working Group must conform to the Eclipse Foundation Working Group Process. In particular, we would point to the requirement of having a minimum of five members of the working group before it is considered operational. This is very important to demonstrate both the vendor neutrality and industry support of the MicroProfile specifications.

  3. We would recommend that the group use the Sparkplug and/or AsciiDoc charters as starting points. Both of these groups provide full compliance with both the EFSP and the working group process with significantly lower fees than Jakarta EE. Consistent with the other specification based working groups (Sparkplug, AsciiDoc, Jakarta EE) fees are required to support the Foundation’s administration and legal work to administer the application of the EFSP, branding and compatibility program on behalf of MicroProfile.Of course, there may be valuable text reusable from the Jakarta EE working group charter as well.

  4. The Eclipse Foundation is willing to support the request of some members of MicroProfile that it be allowed to implement a compatibility branding program which does not require membership in either the Eclipse Foundation or the MicroProfile Working Group. To that end we will create a MicroProfile compatibility trademark licensing agreement which any party can sign. This agreement will require certain quality metrics be met, the passing of the TCKs and be in compliance with the TCK license being chief among them. Any party which wishes to use the MicroProfile compatibility mark must be a signatory to this trademark license agreement.

We look forward to reviewing your draft working group charter and pipeline of participant organizations at your earliest convenience.

--

Mike Milinkovich

Executive Director | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

mike.mil...@eclipse-foundation.org

@mmilinkov

+1.613.220.3223 (m)

Kevin Sutter

Mar 27, 2020, 4:10:22 PM3/27/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thanks, Mike,
At least this request is consistent with our stated direction at our last MicroProfile Hangout -- it's time to define a standalone MicroProfile Working Group.  And, thanks for the pointers to the existing Working Group charters and the parameters that we should consider for the MP Working Group charter.  I'm sure all of this will feed into our discussions.

-- Kevin

John Clingan

Mar 27, 2020, 8:32:56 PM3/27/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I've added this as an item to the working group part of the Live Hangout.

Scott Stark

Mar 30, 2020, 4:06:41 PM3/30/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
And what is the baseline incremental cost for a specification project to determine the minimum fee structure? I had requested this information in previous meeting discussing these topics.