md or adoc?

Kevin Sutter

Jun 7, 2017, 5:06:47 PM6/7/17
to MicroProfile
Have we decided on whether we're using md or adoc for our common files (README, CONTRIBUTING, etc)?  Our evolution-process seems to be using md.  But, I noticed that many of our component repos are using adoc...  Should we focus on just one?  Or, doesn't anybody care?

This came up because I was just initializing my new repo for the "bill of materials"...  By default, Eclipse uses md (README.md), which is consistent with the component proposal I just completed for MP 1.1.  But, I noticed that Config is using adoc (README.adoc).

Thanks, Kevin

Ken Finnigan

Jun 7, 2017, 5:09:51 PM6/7/17
to MicroProfile
I know I prefer adoc because of its features.

But I don't know if we need to "pick one", though it would make it easier for contributions if we were consistent.

Ken

David Blevins

Jun 7, 2017, 5:33:18 PM6/7/17
to MicroProfile
+1 for Asciidoc

It can do everything Markdown can, plus a bit more.  There’s also a great toolchain for creating PDFs that Dan Allen maintains.  The MicroProfile.io website content is also in Asciidoc, so anything we create is instantly publishable there (regardless of what repo it lives in, the code that builds the site can pull and publish asciidoc from any git repo).

Kevin Sutter

Jun 7, 2017, 5:36:42 PM6/7/17
to David Blevins, MicroProfile, Ondrej Mihályi, Heiko Braun
I'm not an expert with either one, so I don't really have a preference.  But, I do think that consistency would be good for our own sanity as well as future contributions.

Let's leave this conversation going for a bit, but it's leaning towards adoc...  Ondrej or Heiko?  Since the evolution-process is slanted towards md...

--  Kevin

On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 5:06:47 PM UTC-4, Kevin Sutter wrote:
Have we decided on whether we're using md or adoc for our common files (README, CONTRIBUTING, etc)?  Our evolution-process seems to be using md.  But, I noticed that many of our component repos are using adoc...  Should we focus on just one?  Or, doesn't anybody care?

This came up because I was just initializing my new repo for the "bill of materials"...  By default, Eclipse uses md (README.md), which is consistent with the component proposal I just completed for MP 1.1.  But, I noticed that Config is using adoc (README.adoc).

Thanks, Kevin

Alasdair Nottingham

Jun 7, 2017, 5:39:11 PM6/7/17
to Kevin Sutter, David Blevins, MicroProfile, Ondrej Mihályi, Heiko Braun
For reading it doesn’t matter, for authoring md is still more widely understood, so likely has a lower barrier of entry. I quite like asciidoc though.

ondrej....@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2017, 7:05:05 PM6/7/17
to Kevin Sutter, David Blevins, MicroProfile, Heiko Braun

I prefer adoc.

It's much more powerful than MD.

For simple documents it doesn't matter but it makes sense to avoid mixing 2 formats. The evolution repo is one of the oldest and I guess MD was chosen just because the author knew it better or the original content was already in MD. With revising the evolution process, I would convert it to adoc.

--Ondro

+1 for Asciidoc

ondrej....@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2017, 7:08:55 PM6/7/17
to Kevin Sutter, David Blevins, MicroProfile, Heiko Braun

Just a small example why adoc is better – md doesn't support nested lists while adoc supports multilevel nested lists. And much more.

Ondro

John Clingan

Alasdair Nottingham

Jun 7, 2017, 9:07:32 PM6/7/17
to John Clingan, MicroProfile
I find vi works really well ;)

Alasdair Nottingham

Rahman USTA

Jun 8, 2017, 12:41:44 AM6/8/17
to Alasdair Nottingham, MicroProfile, John Clingan
I suggest anybody using AsciidocFX editor but it doesn't matter which text editor you use. Asciidoc is best for documentation and I wonder why people still use Markdown :)

Heiko Braun

Mike Croft

Jun 8, 2017, 3:32:17 AM6/8/17
to MicroProfile, kwsu...@gmail.com, dble...@tomitribe.com, ondrej....@gmail.com, ike....@googlemail.com
+1 for adoc.

Alasdair already mentioned the slightly higher friction for new users of Asciidoc, but I've found it's worth it. The pain of later finding out that MD isn't good enough and converting to Asciidoc is *large*. There's support in lots of editors, AsciidocFX and Atom will both give live rendered previews, or there are are browser plugins which would work very well for Vi/Vim users ;-)

http://asciidoctor.org/docs/editing-asciidoc-with-live-preview

Antoine Sabot-Durand

Jun 8, 2017, 8:22:08 AM6/8/17
to MicroProfile
+1 for adoc: richer and more versatile format without complexity addition (compared to md)

Antoine

Kevin Sutter

Kevin Sutter

Jun 13, 2017, 9:57:04 AM6/13/17
to MicroProfile
Okay, I think I've left this vote/discussion open long enough...  AsciiDoc is the clear winner.  Please ensure that your documentation (proposals, readmes, specs, etc) are all in AsciiDoc (.adoc) format.  As previously discussed, there are several tools to help you out .  Personally, I use the AsciiDoc plugin for Atom and it works quite nice to preview the updates real time.

Thanks!
Kevin

Emily Jiang

Jun 13, 2017, 6:09:57 PM6/13/17
to MicroProfile
Kevin,
Can you log the vote result on our wiki page (guideline for contributing) so that we can easily refer to it?

Emily

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 10:49:41 AM UTC-5, Kevin Sutter wrote:
[...]

Kevin Sutter

Jun 14, 2017, 3:37:23 PM6/14/17
to MicroProfile
Done.  Thanks for the nudge.