Java EE / Jakarta EE 8 alignment in MP X

Scott Stark

Oct 18, 2018, 12:49:40 AM10/18/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I'm not up to speed with what MP release is targeting alignment with the EE 8 ish APIs. In MP-JWT we were thinking that alignment with the Java Security API from 8 would be straightforward until it was seen that this requires a dependency on the servlet api for http request objects, and technically a dependency on JASPIC, although this really only comes in via a document dependency. We can ignore JASPIC, but are we willing to have a dependency on the core servlet apis in MP?

If not, we will have to think about how to address supporting the Java Security API.

Kevin Sutter

Oct 18, 2018, 12:36:28 PM10/18/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Scott,
Even before we consider new specs, we need to start thinking about moving to the Jakarta equivalent of CDI, JAX-RS, JSON-B, and JSON-P.  Some of these APIs are available in Maven using the Jakarta Group and Artifact IDs, but not all of them.  Since these should be exactly the same as the Java EE 8 versions, the move should be painless.  But, will this require an update to our platform version?  That is, do we need MP 3.x branch for this type of update?  Or, would an MP 2.x update be sufficient?

(Didn't mean to hijack your thread...  This is something I've been thinking about and your post caused me to put it in writing.  And, your subject line was generic enough...)

-- Kevin

Scott Stark

Oct 18, 2018, 6:45:34 PM10/18/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
That is fine. Technically, since there is no change other than the external group id used in build dependencies, I certainly would think that this could be accomplished in a 2.x release.