2019 Conferences to have a MicroProfile booth

Cesar Saavedra

Jan 25, 2019, 8:31:27 AM1/25/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com, Cesar Saavedra, microprofil...@googlegroups.com
Hello MicroProfile community!

We have been discussing the idea of sponsoring a dedicated MicroProfile booth at some selected conferences during 2019. One of the motivations of this endeavor would be to present the entire MicroProfile community as a united front at these conferences. The MicroProfile booth would be sponsored by community members willing to provide funds and/or technical resources to staff it, etc.

To this end, we are reaching out to you for your feedback about potential top conferences for MicroProfile to have a booth. We cannot (and should not) have a booth at every single conference every year so the goal is to target a handful of them where we can reach a large targeted audience interested in enterprise Java microservices. (Here's a good reference sheet for Jakarta EE conference attendanceAnd here’s another good list). What do you think about the following list? Remember, we need to keep this list to a handful of conferences to make this endeavor manageable.
  1. DevNexus (March 6-8)
  2. JavaLand (March 19-21) (Germany)
  3. Devoxx France (April 17-19)
  4. Devoxx UK (May 8-10)
  5. JNation (June 4) - Portugal
  6. Oracle Code One (Sep 16? TBD)
  7. EclipseCon Europe (Oct 21-24)
  8. Voxxed Days Microservices (Oct 29-30?) (Paris)
  9. Devoxx Belgium (Nov)
Thanks,
--
Cesar Saavedra
Senior Principal Technical Product Marketing Manager

John Clingan

Jan 25, 2019, 5:13:32 PM1/25/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
What is the attendance at each conference? Any experience on booth traffic at each conference?

Lars Roewekamp

Jan 31, 2019, 7:50:49 AM1/31/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com

Hi to all,

I see also – at least for Germany, Switzerland and Austria - the JAX 2019 Confrence (May 6-10) in Mainz/Germany  as an important event for Java enterprise developer. I also ask myself if we could cooperate with existing sponsors – e.g. by providing material or experts - to be able to present MicorProfile on even more conferences.

E.g. I know that we – open knowledge – will have a both on the JAX 2019 Confrence and I guess Payara will also have. So providing us with MicroProfile related material could help to propagate the idea of the MicroProfile community. In that case it would not be necessary to have (and pay) an own MicroProfile booth. Does this make sense? Or is it a bad idea from a marketing point of view?

Lars

--
Lars Roewekamp

Roberto Cortez

Jan 31, 2019, 10:24:38 AM1/31/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I’m one of the organisers of JNation in Portugal. Thank you so much for considering JNation to be a part of this roadmap. It’s an honor :)

We made our first edition last year, and we were able to get around 500 attendees. This year we expect to reach 700 attendees. We do try to come up with a few gamification strategies for attendees to go around booths. Last year for instance, we offered a Raspberry PI Zero for attendees that got a stamp from each booth. The Java community in Portugal is growing, so it may be a good opportunity to support us in our grow. Also, a perfect place to enjoy good weather and food during summer time :)

Also, we already confirmed Redhat and Tomitribe to be sponsors, plus Emily is also confirmed as a speaker.

Let me know if this is interesting for the MP Community. We would love to have you here!

Cheers,
Roberto

Marcia Peterson

Jan 31, 2019, 3:50:18 PM1/31/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
I can't go but would love to hear a live podcast.

Marcia Peterson

Roberto Cortez

Jan 31, 2019, 5:39:10 PM1/31/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
We will be live streaming :)

Amelia Eiras

Feb 1, 2019, 7:32:29 PM2/1/19
to MicroProfile Marketing, MicroProfile, Cesar Saavedra
Happy friday MicroProfilers,

First, Gracias Cesar for sending to the forum a written follow up and pulling into MP, the conference sheet from the Jakarta EE project, both items completed with great form. :)

The current exchanges in the thread are fantastic yet I must use my email interface to not lose the other 2 emails on this thread.

Copy/paste yet our reply to question below is also placed in the call minutes.

Jan 21st Marketing hangout minutes:

Question for Tomitribe and our reply:

  1. Amelia, would Tomitribe be interested in this idea? If so, which option would you prefer for contributing towards having a MicroProfile booth at every event?

ANSWER: 2/1/19
Amelia: zero for booth ONLY option.
Tomitribe would like to see this MicroProfile moving away from the traditional booth sponsorship and start focusing in the creation of the MicroProfilers Champion’s Program [MP-CP] instead.
We know that many of the traveling MicroProfilers today are NOT ONLY those speakers under the Partners’ known but actually individual MicroProfilers not associated with any company.
We need to connect the MP- Champions =  Globally.
I think any budget we might come up with,  after doing some research, needs to be placed by Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4 and enable metrics and tracing from day 1 so that by each iteration, we can adjust it with enough flexibility.
Vendor Neutral Booth could be consider- our recommendation is a max (if paid) 2 per year:  1 in USA and 1 in EU. Reminder that no Vendor can use the scanned leads from the Vendor Neutral booth for sales follow up. That was decided since the creation of the Project.
  • Without mentioning any Conference names, many in our industry would offer OSS projects such a MicroProfile a 100% free booth in support of its Community.
  • When that occurs, I recommend budget is spent on adding value to that event by for example:
  1. Sponsorship the event’s community Party
  2. Coffee breaks
  3. Lanyard sponsorships
  4. The list goes on...
INSTEAD OF TRADITIONAL BOOTH: THE MP-CHAMPIONS CREATION IS IDEAL:
Brainstorming: NOT focusing in the how yet, just sharing the crude value
GOALS

  • Provide individual MicroProfilers with at least 6 to 10 t-shirts per MP session.  For instance, T-shirt and stickers [could be shipped globally when requested] to the MicroProfiler(s) who are not a part of the list of Vendors listed in MP.io
  • Some travel coverage could be added as an option & buffer for those MicroProfilers who do not have the support of their employers (NOT added in the list of Partners) yet would like to particiapete. DOING SO, could likely initiate the MicroProfile Champions.
  • Using git, we can have past abstracts ready to be used by new interested Speakers who are not yet known but who are interested in sharing their knowledge on MicroProfile and need a jump-start.
  • MP website will need to be the master tracking to enable much of the structure for the program
  • ….

- NOTE:
  • In 2018, a few Partners brought the Neutral MicroProfile booth for DevNexus 2018
  1. $10,000 was given the the EF Team
  2. Conf organizers provided the booth at $0 cost
  3. 300 t-shirts and ~ (number cannot recall) stickers were printed
  4. There is a left over budget from that event still for the project to use in 2019 given the kindness of the Event organizers.

—

About the planning of conferences to keep anyone attending as a speaker & sponsor or just attendee. I have placed the copy of the sheet Cesar (RH) shared in the MP drive under 2019 Events folder

Emily Jiang

Feb 13, 2019, 4:19:44 PM2/13/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
In addition to the list of conferences, we should also include JavaZone (1000+ attendees) in September. Though I have not been there in the past, I plan to go this year and have heard good things about this conference.

Thanks
Emily

Marcia Peterson

Feb 13, 2019, 4:26:50 PM2/13/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Cesar and Emily,

Would it be ok for me to check with my school (DeVry University - Keller School of Management) to see if they would like to help sponsor a booth?

Thank you,
Marcia Peterson

Emily Jiang

Feb 13, 2019, 6:27:51 PM2/13/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
That would be wonderful! Thank you Marcia!
Thanks
Emily

Marcia Peterson

Feb 15, 2019, 7:35:15 AM2/15/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Emily,
Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner, can you please, send me an estimate of cost to present to DeVry University. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcia Peterson

Marcia Peterson

Feb 15, 2019, 7:47:43 AM2/15/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Emily,
List of needed information for donation. Contact person - name, phone number, email, estimate for amounts needed, and date money is due if applicable. I will send out letter.  I can be reached at 347-678-8930,  EST

Thanks
Marcia Peterson

Emily Jiang

Feb 16, 2019, 2:51:26 PM2/16/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I think you are better to get connected via MP marketing calls. Cesar will be able to help you.

Thanks
Emily

Marcia Peterson

Feb 17, 2019, 8:50:01 AM2/17/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I made plans to attend.

Marcia Peterson

Cesar Saavedra

Feb 18, 2019, 9:37:09 AM2/18/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Marcia,

Welcome to the MicroProfile Community!
We are having our biweekly MicroProfile Marketing Hangout later today (at 1pm EST US). Here are the info for the call:
====
To join the Meeting:
https://bluejeans.com/2560418143

To join via Browser:
https://bluejeans.com/2560418143/browser

To join with Lync:
https://bluejeans.com/2560418143/lync

To join via Room System:
Video Conferencing System: bjn.vc -or-199.48.152.152
Meeting ID : 2560418143

To join via phone :
1) Just want to dial in on your phone? +1 408.915.6466
    (https://redhat.com/en/conference-numbers)
2) Enter Conference ID : 2560418143
====
=====
Just in case, the public MicroProfile calendar is here:

Looking forward to speaking with you,

Thanks,
Cesar

Marcia Peterson

Feb 18, 2019, 9:55:42 AM2/18/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to meeting everyone as well. +1, #Dynamic Team

Cesar Saavedra

Feb 18, 2019, 11:00:19 AM2/18/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Here's the updated potential list with approximate (if I'm way off, please reply with the better number) attendee counts:
  1. DevNexus (March 6-8) - approx. 2,100 attendees
  2. JavaLand (March 19-21) (Germany) - approx. 1,900 attendees
  3. Devoxx France (April 17-19) - approx. 3000 attendees
  4. Jax (May 6-10) - approx. 2,000 attendees
  5. Devoxx UK (May 8-10) - approx. 1,300 attendees
  6. JNation (June 4) - Portugal - approx. 500 attendees
  7. Java Zone (Sep 12-13) - approx. 1,000 attendees
  8. Oracle Code One (Sep 16? TBD) - approx. ??? attendees
  9. EclipseCon Europe (Oct 21-24) - approx. 600 attendees
  10. Voxxed Days Microservices (Oct 29-30?) (Paris) - approx. 300 attendees
  11. Devoxx Belgium (Nov) - approx. 3,000 attendees
Thanks,
Cesar

Roberto Cortez

Feb 18, 2019, 11:04:59 AM2/18/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

JNation is expecting 700 this year :)

Cheers,
Roberto

Roberto Cortez

Apr 23, 2019, 12:28:22 PM4/23/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I was wondering if there was some decision regarding a MicroProfile booth in the listed conferences :)

Cheers,
Roberto