Retrospectives?

Heiko Braun

Jul 27, 2017, 3:49:16 AM7/27/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
As the Microprofile community grows and the number of projects under it's umbrella increases it becomes more and more apparent that the community would benefit from consistent approaches across projects, but at the same time attempts to unify everything across the board can easily become hindrance to progress. I think finding the right balance between consistency and autonomy of projects is the key to a healthy community.

While chatting to Emily about this, the idea of retrospectives came up. Retrospectives in the sense of having regular cadence of sessions in which we review what works and doesn't work in each project with the intention to improve and adapt over the course of time, rather then thinking through rules or guidelines upfront.

I can think of a monthly retrospective, that provides room for ideas, thoughts and suggestions. The focus here would be on the way we work  together as community, rather then technical, project related questions.

Let me know what you think and what your experiences with the community have been so far. Do you seen room for improvement? What should we start doing? What should we stop doing?

Food for thought.

Heiko

Mark Little

Jul 27, 2017, 6:39:10 AM7/27/17
to Heiko Braun, Eclipse MicroProfile
Sounds good!

---
Mark Little

JBoss, by Red Hat
Registered Address: Red Hat Ltd, 6700 Cork Airport Business Park, Kinsale Road, Co. Cork.
Registered in the Companies Registration Office, Parnell House, 14 Parnell Square, Dublin 1, Ireland, No.304873
Directors:Michael Cunningham (USA), Vicky Wiseman (USA), Michael O'Neill, Keith Phelan, Matt Parson (USA)

Werner Keil

Jul 27, 2017, 12:22:17 PM7/27/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, ike....@googlemail.com
Happy to participate in some. I work a lot in Agile projects, so retrospectives are also a regular  part of the project lifecycle in most of those.

As individual participant who is not paid directly for work on MicroProfile or simile Open Source efforts (unlike others who either do this full time or maybe in a Google style "20% project") I can only afford the later afternoon for hangouts, conf calls or similar. Those calls that are meant for most parts of the globe I often joined, the others were only possible in few cases (e.g. when I lived not far from a client's office and could "sneak out" for an hour or so;-)

Werner

Ondro Mihályi

Jul 27, 2017, 4:41:40 PM7/27/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
+1

Retrospectives are a great idea and even the last Microprofile hangout showed that we have many non-technical issues to be dismissed and improved.

There are some issues that have been mentioned a couple of times but nobody really picked them up, mostly because there wasn't anybody competent enough or nobody had access to some key tools. Updating the information for newcomers is crucial buy hasn't got enough attention until this week. Communication is another issue, with the mailing list becoming unmaintainable and no alternative channel to contact people instantly.

I have no problem to attend a monthly retrospective call, especially if it doesn't clash with other regular MP hangouts. I suggest to schedule it at a different day and time than the biweekly hangout so that people can attend at least one of them according to their time options. The biweekly hangout at 6pm GMT is too late for some people in Europe, so it’s better to schedule it some time around 3pm GMT.

--Ondro