[Vote] Release Config 1.0

Emily Jiang

May 30, 2017, 6:28:43 PM5/30/17
to MicroProfile
I would like to formally announce the release of Config 1.0 based on the content of config repo. Please send your +1, +0, -1.

Emily

Kevin Sutter

May 31, 2017, 11:41:07 AM5/31/17
to MicroProfile
Emily,
Isn't there anything more formal to the release process?  When we did releases in OpenJPA (Apache), we had a staging area with the proposed artifacts (jars, docs, etc) that anyone could review and provide comments on.  So, as part of this Config 1.0 release process, what do we plan to produce and make available?  What jar files?  What zip files?  What javadocs?  What doc files?  Where will these artifacts be accessible?  Maven repo?  What Maven metadata will be used?  Lots of questions are going through my head...  Maybe the individual pieces are ready for a 1.0 release, but how will they be consumed?

Thanks, Kevin

Emily Jiang

May 31, 2017, 5:42:41 PM5/31/17
to MicroProfile
I might have got the process wrong or trying to invent the process. This is just an announcement to say "hi, are you guys happy for me to do a release".

If people are happy, we then start the release process, branching the repo, labeling the build etc. There will be one api jar, one tck jar and a spec doc. The images can be found here.

Maybe this step is not needed. We can just start branching off and do all the prep. Thoughts?

p.s. I see this becomes a discussion rather than Vote. I have updated the subject accordingly.

Emily

Kevin Sutter

May 31, 2017, 6:22:11 PM5/31/17
to MicroProfile
Thanks, Emily.  Yes, I agree.  This is a [Discussion] on the readiness of the release process for Config 1.0.  This makes more sense.  And, it always is good practice to ask about creating a release before actually doing it.  I just jumped the gun when I saw [vote].  Thanks for the clarification.

-- Kevin

Emily Jiang

Jun 1, 2017, 9:58:58 AM6/1/17
to MicroProfile
Thanks Kevin! I realised I was not clear. Since there is no established road, we are trying to explore and set up the path:o.

Emily

Werner Keil

Jun 1, 2017, 11:32:40 AM6/1/17
to MicroProfile
It has been a while, but I remember the last Milestone Release of UOMo that involved a Review https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.uomo/reviews/0.6.0-release-review this was done by the Architecture Council or members of the Technology PMC. I don't believe committers or contributors vote.

[Discussion] seems fine to review, if anyone saw a major issue, I guess this is a place to discuss it other than the dev list at Eclipse, but I don't recall voting in those discussion channels. That is done on another mailing of the architecture council etc.

Werner

Emily Jiang

Jun 2, 2017, 4:47:24 AM6/2/17
to MicroProfile
Agreed. This is a kind of discussion before we start the formal process, which will be handled mostly outside this group by Eclipse.
Emily