Question regarding the license of the MicroProfile Logo

Philip Riecks

Nov 1, 2019, 8:12:49 AM11/1/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile

Dear fellow MP enthusiasts,

I am planning to release an E-Book to help other developers start with Eclipse MicroProfile. I'm currently in the process of creating the cover image for the E-Book and wanted to ask if I can use the MicroProfile logo: https://microprofile.io/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/MP-logo-w-tagline.png inside the cover image. Is there a license that restricts using it?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

Ryan St. James

Nov 4, 2019, 1:10:54 PM11/4/19
to MicroProfile, ma...@philipriecks.de
Hi Phil,
There is no restriction on using the MicroProfile logo when creativin MP content. Here is the link to the MicroProfile logos in all formats.

Have you collaborated with the MP community on what you are working on yet? If you want other eyes on it... you can create a Git issue and share the content and people will more than be happy to take a look at it.

Let me know if you need anything else or have any questions,
Ryan St. James

Shabnam Mayel

Nov 6, 2019, 4:03:11 AM11/6/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com, Ryan James, Philip Riecks
Hi Ryan,

As I have replied to Philip earlier, here the guideline on using the Eclipse trademarks:

The use of Eclipse Foundation trademarks outside of the immediate scope of the open source project (e.g. the use of the Eclipse MicroProfile name or logo in a book or publication) is subject to the terms of the Guidelines for Eclipse Logos & Trademarks Please note proper notice and attribution.

Community members requesting permission to use an Eclipse logo may do so by sending an email to lic...@eclipse.org

Thanks,

Shabnam

--
Shabnam Mayel
Senior Marketing Manager, Cloud Native Java | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

Jakarta EE | Eclipse Foundation: The Platform for Open Innovation and Collaboration

Message has been deleted

Philip Riecks

Nov 10, 2019, 1:02:49 PM11/10/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thank you both. For now I decided to not use the MP logo for the E-Book. For further content I'll get in contact with the Eclipse Foundation

Amelia Eiras

Nov 12, 2019, 3:59:34 PM11/12/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Phillip,

First thank you for moving the question on logo usage for your book to this forum. I appreciate that.

Thanks Shabnam for the follow up reminding us of the Eclipse Trademark Guidelines that enable today adjustments to Contributing content to MP wiki part About MicroProfile Trademarks

About future follow up, I would prefer for our Community to ask questions directly via the forum and avoid at all costs working privately on the usage of MP logos/etc. When unsure, do ask via this forum.

We need MP questions to arrive to this Community, NOT to the foundation.

Cheers,

David Blevins

Nov 12, 2019, 4:17:39 PM11/12/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hey Philip to you have a link to the book?

Not sure if the materials are open or closed.

-David

Kevin Sutter

Nov 12, 2019, 6:15:57 PM11/12/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Amelia,
I'm not understanding your concern.  Philip did post his question to our Google Group and it was responded to by Ryan and Shabnam, both public replies.

Also, Eclipse Foundation does own the MicroProfile trademarks.  So, getting responses both from the MP community as well as the Foundation is appropriate.  We can not answer for the Foundation (and vice versa).

Can you clarify your concerns?  I'm confused.

Thanks,
Kevin

Amelia Eiras

Nov 12, 2019, 6:25:31 PM11/12/19
to MicroProfile Community
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for enabling the follow up.
A private EF email was provided to enable future questions about MP logo usage. My feedback is focus on keeping Philip's email to this forum as the expected process when dealing with branding as it will educate all of us while updates are provided.

In most OSS communication matters,  I am and have been wary of private "unnecessary" exchanges. They lead to less scalable and friendly ecosystems, today this project is as fun & welcoming b/c of its transparency to show the raw & evolution of most things accomplished by THE doers. lets keep it!

Cheers,

Kevin Sutter

Nov 12, 2019, 6:49:58 PM11/12/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Okay, I see what you were getting at, Amelia...  When Philip indicated that he would contact the Eclipse Foundation for "further content", you want him to post here as well.  He's welcome to copy the Eclipse Foundation email address on the post, but the conversation should happen here on our public forum.

Thanks for clarifying,
Kevin
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to microprofile+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Amelia Eiras

Nov 12, 2019, 7:28:29 PM11/12/19
to MicroProfile Community
It is my pleasure to openly discuss things Kevin, always.

Disclosure so that you know where this thread started.   Wonderful Philip candidly contacted, me via private mediums to understand the HOW. I asked him to ask so that we can answer him via this forum- by we, anyone.  Philip's actions are what cements open insights and the VETY example of how healthy this project is via actions truly is.

Therefore,  my special thanks to Philip and everyone participating on this thread! :)

Philip Riecks

Nov 12, 2019, 11:26:48 PM11/12/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi David,

I've not yet published the book but plan to do this at the weekend. This will probably be announced via Twitter (@rieckpil) and https://rieckpil.de

Kind regards,
Philip

Amelia Eiras

Nov 13, 2019, 2:48:40 PM11/13/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Philip,  that is a pretty formidable, way to go!

For your reference, should you see the value of broaden your audience via MP media chanels, do check out git issue about what we are potential doing for/with the very first for profit-book already published by MicroProfilers that might be highlighted via a MPblog & MP media [scheduled monthly/weekly pushes] as done with Lars' pro-bono White Paper.  Work-in-progress being tackled directly via the ticket and quickly discussed on yesterday's Community hangout on how best push such work.

Own it without pressure and whatever you do, do make yourself along side with this community better by providing open feedback on likes and dislikes so that we can choose to do better, together. :) cheers!

Philip Riecks

Nov 17, 2019, 4:56:44 AM11/17/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
For those of you who are interested in the book, it's now published: https://rieckpil.de/getting-started-with-eclipse-microprofile-course-bundle/. I'm planning to open a git issue for the microprofile.io site like Amelia mentioned