Demo Eclipse Microprofile at JavaOne

ian.sk...@eclipse.org

Sep 8, 2017, 11:57:14 AM9/8/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
The Eclipse Foundation is hosting a Eclipse Microprofile demo station in our booth at JavaOne. Now we need some MP experts to help explain and demo MP to the JavaOne attendees.  It would be great to have members of the MP community to volunteer to work in the Eclipse booth.  Your commitment would be to spend 2 hours working in the Eclipse Foundation booth. If you want you can certainly work multiple days or longer periods of time.  We will have a presentation that everyone can use to explain MP and you can also bring your laptop to demo MP.

Thanks
Ian

Amelia Eiras

Sep 12, 2017, 1:19:56 PM9/12/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hola Ian,

This thread is no display first on gForum, thank YOU!

A few weeks ago, during an MP mktg call it was discussed:

  1.  that MP volunteer during JavaOne's booth coverage will require 2 individuals, not 1.Can we please adjust scheduled sheet to list two volunteers instead of 1?
  2. All MP volunteers are required to wear at all times during MP coverage MP 2017 shirt, no exceptions.
  3. Individual #MicroProfilers in addition to partners welcomed to volunteer! :)

Many thanks for this important thread you created,

A.

Werner Keil

Sep 12, 2017, 3:16:45 PM9/12/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Amelia/Ian,

Other than a Hackergarten session about JSR 363 in relation to other projects (including Eclipse JNoSQL) and JVM languages, I do not have an official responsibility, so unless 2 Individuals who are full committers already (see https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.microprofile/who) were available, I'd be happy to help.

From a little help with Config to a little more with Health, Metrics, samples or the BOM and presentations I got involved in several ways.

Werner

Kevin Sutter

Sep 13, 2017, 4:22:36 PM9/13/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
+1, Werner, you would be welcome to help demo.  Thank you!

Ivan St. Ivanov

Sep 14, 2017, 4:02:25 PM9/14/17
to MicroProfile
Hey everybody,

I was wondering about helping at the MP booth. However, I am not really sure whether I will be fully prepared for all the topics that people might ask. I have talked at local conferences and JUG meetings about MicroProfile, helped with the schedule microservice of the conference app and created the MicroProfile Hands on lab with my friend Dmitry. But unfortunately I have no deep knowledge in any of the individual specs (well, besides the three original ones - CDI, JAX-RS and JSON-P).

I am pretty sure that the people who come to the booth will mostly have basic questions, most of which I can tackle. So, if nobody else volunteers, you can definitely put me in the list. More as an enthusiast and community member, not much as an expert.

Cheers,
Ivan

Kevin Sutter

Sep 14, 2017, 6:50:29 PM9/14/17
to MicroProfile
Thanks, Ivan!  The more the merrier.  As with most conference booths, we don't need "the expert".  We need a friendly face that can talk about MicroProfile movement and the benefits of getting involved.  I'm sure there will be plenty of "experts" around to help with the difficult questions.  Thanks again.

--  Kevin

Emily Jiang

Sep 15, 2017, 5:19:57 AM9/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
+1. Welcome Werner and Ivan! With you guys physically being there, it already means a lot for MicroProfile.

Emily

Ondro Mihályi

Sep 16, 2017, 5:04:17 PM9/16/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Werner and Ivan, you'll be certainly welcome at the MicroProfile booth, I'm happy you're interested!

There should always be somebody from the sponsoring vendors at the MP booth between 10am and 5pm, you can join at any time. I'll be there for sure on Tuesday afternoon, otherwise I'm mostly at the Payara booth or somewhere around, always on Twitter or Slack :)

Ondro

Ivar Grimstad

Sep 18, 2017, 3:56:45 AM9/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Guys,

I will be happy to join you at the booth. Can do demos and/or hang around chat with people.

Ivar

Emily Jiang

Sep 18, 2017, 4:54:18 AM9/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Welcome Ivar! Look forward to meeting all of you!

Werner, Ivan and Ivar, please sign up on the spreadsheet as per Ian's notes.

Emily

ian.sk...@eclipse-foundation.org

Sep 18, 2017, 10:45:22 AM9/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Amelia,

I think there is a bit of confusion on the number of required individuals required in the Eclipse booth. We have very limited space so we can only host 1 person at a time. I tried to make this clear during the MP call but obviously I was not successful.  Hopefully this will clarify it now.

Ian

ian.sk...@eclipse-foundation.org

Sep 18, 2017, 10:50:49 AM9/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I just realized that the link I included does not allow for edits.

Theresa, I believe you own this spreadsheet.  can you please include a link that allows for edits.

Thanks
Ian

Ondro Mihályi

Sep 18, 2017, 5:30:41 PM9/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I heard that the MP booth is gonna be small, but hopefully not too small to have 2-3 people standing in front of the booth ready to talk to anyone interested. For giving a demo, I believe there will be very limited space indeed.

In any case, all of you would be warmly welcomed at the Payara booth and I'm sure that applies to all other vendors (IBM, Red Hat, Tomitribe). You'll certainly enjoy great company at any of our booths :)

Ondro

Amelia Eiras

Sep 18, 2017, 6:13:24 PM9/18/17
to MicroProfile, MicroProfile Marketing
Ondrej— you are always kind, candid & welcoming, thank YOU for being that formidable #usualsuspects! :)

Ian and all,

I do not join the MP mktg calls often, yet the 1 I did join was ~ a 1 hr and 15 mins video call.  During that call, it was discussed that for a successful demo at Conferences, [even if data is pre-recorded] task needs 2 volunteers.  Sadly, the mktg minutes from call— do not state that exact data, so we failed you Ian and Eclipse Team with exact update.

MP is being welcomed to the Eclipse booth as a Partner-Neutral-Zone.  I think this is great and needed for MP.
 As one of the 3 vendors, thank you Ian and team for being patient while we ask & get educated on what works and what doesn’t. Learning together is great. Learning in the open is even better.

Cheers,

Theresa Nguyen

Sep 18, 2017, 6:18:24 PM9/18/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Ian,

Conference Schedule spreadsheet is now open for edit.

-Theresa

ian.sk...@eclipse-foundation.org

Sep 19, 2017, 10:36:52 AM9/19/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Ondreg and Amelia,

I agree it would be nice to welcome lots of people into the Eclipse booth but I would like to reiterate that we have a very small booth and MP is sharing it with other Eclipse projects.  Also, in my experience if you put too many 'workers' in a booth, there is no room for 'new' people to approach the booth and hear the demo/story. This is why I am saying only one person is needed for MP in the Eclipse booth.  During dedicated hours we have agreed to have an extra person to help with the increased traffic.

Amelia, on a recent MP marketing call we discussed that doing a full fledged demo was going to be too complicated. We agreed that we would just have a slide show and allow the worker to show examples from their laptop.

I would also like to point out we still have a lot of empty slots. We really need some people to setup to help out.  Here is a link people can edit. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13hlsebEb9ql_3dk9ySaKCcXIaglucjcw-5-6fIMXyiw/edit?usp=sharing

Ian

Kevin Sutter

Sep 19, 2017, 11:14:26 AM9/19/17
to MicroProfile
I'd like to re-emphasize Ondro's suggestion...  All of the MicroProfilers have their own respective vendor booths in addition to the Eclipse booth -- Payara, IBM, Redhat, Tomitribe, and probably others.  So, if you are looking for some place to help out or just hang out, wander the expo floor and mingle with all of the MicroProfile development teams.  I know I plan to do that.

Thanks, Kevin

Amelia Eiras

Sep 19, 2017, 3:17:24 PM9/19/17
to MicroProfile, MicroProfile Marketing, Ivar Grimstad, Ivan Ivanov, Werner Keil
Ivar, Ivan & Werner,

Can you please choose the time you would like to commit to the MP booth? Thank you for joining JavaOne fun, see you next week :)

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 8:14:26 AM UTC-7, Kevin Sutter wrote:
I'd like to re-emphasize Ondro's suggestion...  All of the MicroProfilers have their own respective vendor booths in addition to the Eclipse booth -- Payara, IBM, Redhat, Tomitribe, and probably others.  So, if you are looking for some place to help out or just hang out, wander the expo floor and mingle with all of the MicroProfile development teams.  I know I plan to do that.

Thanks, Kevin

Ivan St. Ivanov

Sep 19, 2017, 3:43:59 PM9/19/17
to Amelia Eiras, MicroProfile, MicroProfile Marketing, Ivar Grimstad, Werner Keil
Hi everyone,

First, thank you all for the encouragement! :)

I did try to sign up, but I didn't really get the meaning of the time slots on the horizontal and on the vertical.

Basically, I will be busy with talks on Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning. So I can do something for an hour or two on Monday and on Wednesday afternoon.

Cheers,
Ivan

Amelia Eiras

Sep 19, 2017, 3:46:19 PM9/19/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Ivan, please try again- now sheet is open for you & community to own it! :)

Amelia Eiras

Sep 19, 2017, 3:58:20 PM9/19/17
to Ivan Ivanov, MicroProfile, MicroProfile Marketing, Werner Keil, Ivar Grimstad, Ian Skerrett
Ivan,

Finally I understand what you mean-  sheet has the time is set on blocks and not per hour— not optimal or welcoming to owned by wonderful YOU & others in the MP Community at JavaOne.

To the MicroProfiler,  who created the sheet, please adjust it to set the volunteer time per 1 hour to cover the 3 full days during booth.

Thank you Ivan for feedback, it is great

On Sep 19, 2017, at 12:50 PM, Ivan St. Ivanov <ivan.st...@gmail.com> wrote:

My problem is that I don't really understand which cell to fill in my name. I don't understand the meaning of all those open hours, dedicated times, the different time slots in row 3 and column A...

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Eclipse MicroProfile" group.

ian.sk...@eclipse-foundation.org

Sep 19, 2017, 4:14:00 PM9/19/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
OK, I will try to do a new spreadsheet that hopefully will be easier to understand.

Ivan,

Ivar, Ivan & Werner,

Werner Keil

Sep 19, 2017, 4:26:40 PM9/19/17
to Amelia Eiras, Ivan Ivanov, MicroProfile, MicroProfile Marketing, Ivar Grimstad, Ian Skerrett
I entered myself for Monday before noon. Before my Hackergarten session.
Being especially involved something related to Health Check or Metrics would be nice to show, if there's a specific topic.

Werner

ian.sk...@eclipse-foundation.org

Sep 19, 2017, 4:32:33 PM9/19/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Ivan,

Thanks for the feedback on the spreadsheet. I agree it was confusing so I have created a new one.

Can you let me know if this version makes more sense? As an example, I have added your name to exhibit Monday 2-4pm and Wednesday 12-2pm.  Please feel free to change your times but I wanted to show how the spreadsheet would work.

Thanks again
Ian

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 10:17 PM, Amelia Eiras <aei...@tomitribe.com> wrote:
Ivar, Ivan & Werner,

Can you please choose the time you would like to commit to the MP booth? Thank you for joining JavaOne fun, see you next week :)

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 8:14:26 AM UTC-7, Kevin Sutter wrote:
I'd like to re-emphasize Ondro's suggestion...  All of the MicroProfilers have their own respective vendor booths in addition to the Eclipse booth -- Payara, IBM, Redhat, Tomitribe, and probably others.  So, if you are looking for some place to help out or just hang out, wander the expo floor and mingle with all of the MicroProfile development teams.  I know I plan to do that.

Thanks, Kevin

ian.sk...@eclipse-foundation.org

Sep 19, 2017, 4:38:48 PM9/19/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
My apologies for some reason the link goes to the old schedule. Hopefully this link will work.  If not please look for the New Schedule Tab.

Werner I added you name onto the new schedule for Monday 10-12.

Ian

Amelia Eiras

Sep 19, 2017, 4:41:16 PM9/19/17
to MicroProfile
Ian, you are wonderful!

Saw new sheet, can we adjust it to allow for 1 hour commitments instead of 2?
2hrs block during JavaOne is challenging. We need to increase flexibility to welcome even more volunteers participating at the Booth at different times.

Thank you!

Ivan St. Ivanov

Sep 19, 2017, 4:41:32 PM9/19/17
to MicroProfile
Hi Ian,

Thanks for simplifying the schedule. It looks much easier right now. I can confirm that the time slots where you see my name (Monday and Wednesday, 2-4 pm) are suitable for me.

Cheers,
Ivan

ian.sk...@eclipse-foundation.org

Sep 20, 2017, 8:52:09 AM9/20/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Amelia,

I would prefer to keep the schedule at 2 hours blocks. At past JavaOne this has not been an issue and in my experience it is the optimal amount of time for people to dedicate to working in a booth.

For those people that have only 1 hour, I would encourage them to sign-up for the dedicated hours.

Ian

ian.sk...@eclipse-foundation.org

Sep 20, 2017, 8:54:18 AM9/20/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Ivan,

I am glad the new spreadsheet works better for you.  I did notice you have you name on Wednesday for 10-12 and 2-4pm is this your intention?

Ian

ian.sk...@eclipse-foundation.org

Sep 20, 2017, 9:09:13 AM9/20/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I am hoping Emily Jiang, Mike Croft and Ondrej Mihalyi would please update the new spreadsheet to indicate when they would be able to help with demos.

Thanks
Ian

Ivan St. Ivanov

Sep 20, 2017, 11:02:59 AM9/20/17
to MicroProfile
Hi Ian,

On Wednesday I put my name only on the 2-4pm slot. It is Ivar (not Ivan) that is "on duty" between 10 and 12 :)

At least this is what I see.

Cheers,
Ivan

ian.sk...@eclipse-foundation.org

Sep 25, 2017, 9:35:02 AM9/25/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
It looks like all the demo slots have now been filled.  Thank you to everyone for volunteering. It is shaping up to be a great JavaOne.

Ian

ian.sk...@eclipse-foundation.org

Sep 25, 2017, 2:34:33 PM9/25/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
All,

Here is short slide deck that I would suggest we use to introduce Microprofile in the Eclipse Foundation JavaOne booth.

Ian

Amelia Eiras

Sep 25, 2017, 2:43:39 PM9/25/17
to MicroProfile, Ian Skerrett, MicroProfile Marketing
Ian,

 Working on the MP booth demo with the traveling and not traveling MP community, openly, is pretty fantastic!
#OSS Community #walkingthetalk inviting everyone who wants to help to own it.

Thanks you for owning task in such a form- you are awesome!

Cesar Saavedra

Sep 25, 2017, 4:22:37 PM9/25/17
to Amy B Krofssik, Amelia Eiras, Ian Skerrett, MicroProfile, MicroProfile Marketing, Cesar Saavedra
Hi Amy,

Ian and I put these together today.  This slide deck is the rolling deck for the Eclipse MicroProfile booth.  So anybody staffing the booth should download to their laptops to show.

The deck to be used for the MicroProfile 1.2 announcement (which will happen at the booth) is here:

Thanks,
Cesar

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Amy B Krofssik <akro...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

Ian:

Slides look great. Are these the same or different than the one Cesar was going to do for use in the booth?

Also ... for video- how does this sound to all? We can do some Q&A on video with Eclipse MicroProfile members/developers at booth. Trying to block the time so it does not conflict with time in IBM booth. Video can be used on MicroProfile site (if folks approve/edit/want it). Will Monday work? Think nothing too scripted - just an opportunity to reinforce the value of MicroProfile and we can get out and tweet about - come visit us at the booth ... etc. Ian - the video topic was discussed on a MP marketing (Friday) call - happy to get crew over their Monday if the MP team wants to do this. If anyone can/wants to pull in other Java evangelists - the more the merrier. :)

AK

Amy B. Krofssik
Portfolio Marketing Manager, Java Community Strategy and Engagement
akro...@us.ibm.com
(508)612-3365

Inactive hide details for Amelia Eiras ---09/25/2017 02:43:47 PM---Ian,   Working on the MP booth demo with the traveling and nAmelia Eiras ---09/25/2017 02:43:47 PM---Ian, Working on the MP booth demo with the traveling and not traveling MP community, openly, is pr

From: Amelia Eiras <aei...@tomitribe.com>
To: MicroProfile <microp...@googlegroups.com>, Ian Skerrett <ian.skerrett@eclipse-foundation.org>
Cc: MicroProfile Marketing <microprofile-marketing@googlegroups.com>
Date: 09/25/2017 02:43 PM
Subject: Re: [microprofile] Demo Eclipse Microprofile at JavaOne
Sent by: microprofile-marketing@googlegroups.com

Cesar Saavedra
Senior Principal Technical Product Marketing Manager

Ian Skerrett

Sep 25, 2017, 4:36:11 PM9/25/17
to Amy B Krofssik, Amelia Eiras, MicroProfile, MicroProfile Marketing
Amy,

For the video, I think we will need to coordinate with the people who will be demoing MP.  How about you suggest a couple of times and I can help with the coordination.

Ian

From: Amelia Eiras <aei...@tomitribe.com>
To: MicroProfile <microp...@googlegroups.com>, Ian Skerrett <ian.skerrett@eclipse-foundation.org>
Cc: MicroProfile Marketing <microprofile-marketing@googlegroups.com>
Date: 09/25/2017 02:43 PM
Sent by: microprofile-marketing@googlegroups.com

Ian Skerrett
VP of Marketing
Eclipse Foundation

Twitter: @ianskerrett

Andy Gumbrecht

Sep 26, 2017, 4:39:36 PM9/26/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Having not had the time to dedicate to most of the recent developments, I'm still looking forward to catching up on things. I'll be hanging around on Monday just to get a feel for the current state so that I can be up to spec when I am on duty.

Andy.