MicroProfile 1.1 spec updates (was Re: MP Hangout Aug 8 Agenda)

David Blevins

Aug 7, 2017, 12:08:19 AM8/7/17
to Ondrej Mihályi, Eclipse MicroProfile
Spinning out a new thread from "MP Hangout Aug 8 Agenda”

On Aug 3, 2017, at 3:27 PM, Ondrej Mihályi <ondrej....@gmail.com> wrote:

From the PDF, I would expect at least to specify the list of JSRs and MP features and their versions.

There's no official information about this. Looking at MP 1.0, there's nothing official either - the announcement just states which JSRs are part of MP 1.0, but not which versions. The most official thing that specifies exact versions is the MP 1.0 maven artifact, which was released in April this year, half a year after MP 1.0 was announced.

As a proof that confusion happens, even the presentation for the next hangout isn't precise about the version numbers - it claims that MP 1.0 contains CDI 1.1 and JAX-RS 2.0, while the maven artifact depends on CDI 1.2 and JAX-RS 2.0.1

Ok, give it a look over.

   (note I need to update my email to remove the CLA warning)

Basically gets us from 2 pages to 6.  Still is a bit thin, but good progress.  High-level changes:

 - Versions are specified.  I favored what is in the pom vs presentations
 - Explicitly stated implementations may ship a higher version — we may want to remove that
 - Notices section for giving feedback and disclaimer that our APIs can change
 - Added section numbers

This should help us lean towards a slightly more nailed down source of truth.

I’ve attached a generated PDF to make it easy for everyone to review.

--
David Blevins

microprofile-spec-1.1-draft.pdf

David Blevins

Aug 7, 2017, 9:33:11 PM8/7/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
New PR with all the right checks, signing and revised wording:

microprofile-1.1-spec-draft2.pdf

Kevin Sutter

Aug 10, 2017, 10:12:14 AM8/10/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
These look good, David.  I just approved them and merged the changes.

Now we need to do the formal release process and get these artifacts into Maven...  Based on the previous thread with Ondro, I think the best path is to just copy-and-paste the release scripts from Config for now.  Work through the process for MP 1.1, and then we need to generalize these scripts for any of our components.

--  Kevin

David Blevins

Aug 14, 2017, 2:49:14 PM8/14/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, John Clingan, Theresa Nguyen, Cesar Hernandez
Got a ping that the status should not be Proposed.  I’ve switched it to Final:

PR

Generated PDF

microprofile-spec.pdf

Theresa Nguyen

Aug 14, 2017, 3:00:52 PM8/14/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, jcli...@redhat.com, the...@tomitribe.com, chern...@tomitribe.com
Updated on website "Download PDF".

-Theresa

David Blevins

Aug 14, 2017, 4:18:57 PM8/14/17
to microp...@googlegroups.com, John Clingan, Theresa Nguyen, Cesar Hernandez, Cesar Saavedra
Thanks, T!  And I now note I put the wrong Cesar in there.  I got Guatemala instead of Peru :)

Cesar Saavedra

Aug 14, 2017, 4:59:52 PM8/14/17
to David Blevins, MicroProfile, John Clingan, Theresa Nguyen, Cesar Saavedra
Ah! Too many of us spread around the world!
Thank you David for making the update.

The Config 1.0 PDF Specification doc also needs the same change:
It's still showing "Proposal".

Thanks,
Cesar

On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 11:49:14 AM UTC-7, David Blevins wrote:
Got a ping that the status should not be Proposed.  I’ve switched it to Final:

PR

Generated PDF

Cesar Saavedra
Senior Principal Technical Product Marketing Manager

Theresa Nguyen

Aug 14, 2017, 6:20:15 PM8/14/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, dble...@tomitribe.com, jcli...@redhat.com, the...@tomitribe.com, csaa...@redhat.com

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/36cac3ea-c93a-40d9-9c50-97aaf1dade64%40googlegroups.com.

Cesar Saavedra

Aug 14, 2017, 9:22:59 PM8/14/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, Theresa Nguyen, Cesar Saavedra, dble...@tomitribe.com, jcli...@redhat.com
These are 2 different PDF files. The one on the website is the one for MicroProfile 1.1. The one I was referring to and needs updating is the PDF for Config 1.0.

Kevin Sutter

Aug 15, 2017, 11:10:09 AM8/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, jcli...@redhat.com, the...@tomitribe.com, chern...@tomitribe.com
David,
I was looking at your PR and it didn't pass the ip-validation...  Changes look fine, but I need that cleaned up before I can merge it.  Thanks!

Kevin

Theresa Nguyen

Aug 15, 2017, 6:21:51 PM8/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, the...@tomitribe.com, csaa...@redhat.com, dble...@tomitribe.com, jcli...@redhat.com
Looks like Mark S. & Emily J. are the listed contributors of this doc. Might have to route the request to them?

Kevin Sutter

Aug 15, 2017, 7:15:46 PM8/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, the...@tomitribe.com, csaa...@redhat.com, dble...@tomitribe.com, jcli...@redhat.com, Emily Jiang, Mark Struberg, Ondrej Mihályi
Oops, it looks like I committed directly to the branch_1.0 of microprofile-config...
https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-config/commit/d530b36d27d44bab78e32bb03e60187c3037c8e3

Emily or Mark, I was making the changes to the spec to make it Final and use the correct date when Config 1.0 was finalized (July 27).  I thought I had created a branch for PR, but I guess I used the existing branch_1.0 branch.  If you are good with these changes, then all that is left is to reset the 1.0 tag to point at this new revision.  If I changed something out of place, then you'll have to back my changes out and clean it up.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

--  Kevin

Here's the updated Config spec with "Final" for our posting...
microprofile-config-spec.pdf

Emily Jiang

Aug 16, 2017, 4:26:23 AM8/16/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, the...@tomitribe.com, csaa...@redhat.com, dble...@tomitribe.com, jcli...@redhat.com, emij...@googlemail.com, stru...@yahoo.de, ondrej....@gmail.com
I had a look. It is fine. Not a problem.
Thanks
Emily

Kevin Sutter

Aug 16, 2017, 9:49:41 AM8/16/17
to MicroProfile
Emily,
The changes to the doc may look fine, but now we have the 1.0 Tag not pointing at the proper content.  Since I had accidentally updated the branch_1.0 Branch last night, I didn't want to modify the Tag until we got agreement that the changes were okay.  I believe the only steps left now are to delete the current 1.0 Tag and re-create it to point the current branch_1.0 content, but I'm not an expert...

Thanks, Kevin

Emily Jiang

Aug 16, 2017, 12:50:21 PM8/16/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Apparently the 1.0_branch is wrong. It has 1.1 content. I need to revert some changes, which might be what you concern about.

Thanks,
Emily
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to microprofile...@googlegroups.com.

Kevin Sutter

Aug 16, 2017, 3:01:10 PM8/16/17
to MicroProfile
Shoot.  I thought the branch_1.0 Branch was created to match up with the 1.0 Tag.  The release scripts are not doing that?  They are just creating the Tags?

And, now I'm assuming that Tom Evan's recent rollback (https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-config/pull/219) was to get branch_1.0 cleaned up?  But, I see that this was Closed by Tom?

Since I made the doc updates to the branch_1.0 Branch, did I accidentally create a pdf with 1.1 stuff in it?

Looks like a mess.  Since we're making a change to the doc after we released Config 1.0, we'll need an official Branch for 1.0 (which I thought was branch_1.0).  We need to ensure that this official branch has the proper update to the spec doc (Final with 07/27 date).  And, we need to adjust the 1.0 tag to point at this updated branch.  Did I miss anything?

-- Kevin

Emily Jiang

Aug 16, 2017, 4:18:46 PM8/16/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
It is not too bad. The only wrong commit is the version change after the release. Basically, Tom realised he rolled back too many commits and closed the pr. We worked out that we just need to revert one commit, which is https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-config/commit/a0796e98cf3ca111271566eac2a4b8b479bb9930. This commit should only be against master not 1.0 branch.

Let me try to sort it out.
Emily
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to microprofile...@googlegroups.com.

Emily Jiang

Aug 16, 2017, 4:47:19 PM8/16/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Fixed. It should be all good now. Kevin, you did not mess things up. You just committed on the top of a wrong commit. Thanks for your observation.

Emily