MicroProfile and EE8

Arthur De Magalhaes

Feb 12, 2018, 1:27:58 PM2/12/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,

I recall reading that EE8-based specs would be under MicroProfile 2.0, is that still true?

The reason I ask:  there's a new part of JAX-RS 2.1 (part of EE8), which can be an interesting integration into MP OpenAPI (the server-side events and its relationship with OAS Callbacks).    Would that functionality be a candidate for MP OpenAPI 1.1 or MP OpenAPI 2.0?

If the answer is 2.0, do we move EE7 and EE8 parts in parallel, or just focus on EE8 after that path has started?  For example, if we did MP OpenAPI 2.0, would we really do MP OpenAPI 1.1 in the future?

Thx,
Arthur

Ken Finnigan

Feb 12, 2018, 4:33:56 PM2/12/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Arthur,

In essence yes. MicroProfile 2.0 will be the first introduction of Java EE 8 specifications.

It also follows that any MicroProfile sub specs in 1.x will align with Java EE 7 and 2.x will align with Java EE 8.

The current plan is for MicroProfile 2.0, with just an update to Java EE 8 main specifications, to be released in 2Q 2018. After that point I would expect to see 2.x versions of sub specs that incorporate Java EE 8 features.

In terms of sub specs and 1.x vs 2.x work, there have been some other threads that touched on this. My perspective is that I don't see 1.x being developed in parallel with 2.x, but there may be exceptions if there is community interest in some functionality being back ported to a 1.x release of a sub spec.

Ken