Microprofile on Weblogic

Hari Babu Subaschandrabose

Oct 27, 2017, 1:26:56 AM10/27/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,

This topic has been created to discuss about how Microprofile on Weblogic works! How would I get the benefits of Microprofile if the application goes into Weblogic. Please do share your insights.

Thanks,
Hari

Kevin Sutter

Oct 27, 2017, 2:55:08 AM10/27/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Unfortunately, we are not aware of any Oracle efforts to support WebProfile in WebLogic.  The Oracle team is always welcome to participate with WebProfile and we would welcome another implementation of the specifications.  We're just not aware of any activity in this area.

--  Kevin

Mark Little

Oct 27, 2017, 3:35:06 AM10/27/17
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin.

I think you meant MicroProfile since I'm pretty sure WebLogic supports the WebProfile :)

Sent from my iPhone

Kevin Sutter

Oct 27, 2017, 3:39:25 AM10/27/17
to MicroProfile
Wow!  What a brain fart.  These traveling timezones must be taking their toll...  😁

I absolutely meant MicroProfile.

Thanks, Mark.

-- Kevin

On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 7:26:56 AM UTC+2, Hari Babu Subaschandrabose wrote:
Hi,

This topic has been created to discuss about how Microprofile on Weblogic works! How would I get the benefits of Microprofile if the application goes into Weblogic. Please do share your insights.

Thanks,
Hari

Hari Babu Subaschandrabose

Oct 27, 2017, 5:09:52 AM10/27/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Kevin, Mark

Thanks for your response.

The idea is to migrate small services (not a pure microservices) that are written using Jersey, CDI, JPA, EclipseLink on Weblogic to MicroProfile stack so that I can get benefits of MicroProfile. Could you provide your insights on the approach?

Regards,

Hari

Mike Croft

Oct 27, 2017, 8:59:48 AM10/27/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Hari,

As Kevin said, MicroProfile is not currently available in WebLogic and there have not been any announcements from Oracle that they would ever support MicroProfile in WebLogic.

If you want to use MicroProfile APIs, you will need to use an application server which implements the specification which, currently, means one of the following:

* WildFly Swarm
* Payara Micro
* Open Liberty / WebSphere Liberty
* TomEE
* Hammock
* KumuluzEE

Mark Struberg

Oct 28, 2017, 6:06:28 AM10/28/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
To add a bit more insight.

MP up to including 1.2 is based on EE7. Plus a few more optional specs.
If you use the EE7 version of WebLogic then you have all the parts on this area.
If you then add implementations for the other parts, then you also can use MicroProfile on a WebLogic server.

For config you can e.g. use geronimo-config [1].
I'm sure for the other specs there are also OSS based implementations.

LieGrue,
strub

Kevin Sutter

Oct 28, 2017, 4:39:47 PM10/28/17
to MicroProfile
I like that thinking, Mark.  A build-your-own MicroProfile solution.  Even sounds like a potential market opportunity for an enterprising consultant.  😁

-- Kevin

Werner Keil

Oct 29, 2017, 3:52:13 PM10/29/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Yep, I integrated aspects of MicroProfile into a custom framework on top of WebLogic (Java EE 7) for a recent client.

Werner
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to microprofile...@googlegroups.com.

Mahendran Pandian

Oct 30, 2017, 12:36:58 AM10/30/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Werner,
 Can you share more insight to the custom framework?

 Is it a customized version of other implementations of microprofile?

Thanks,
Mahendran..

Mark Struberg

Oct 30, 2017, 3:12:19 PM10/30/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Heh, well I bet WebLogic will not become a MP certified server in the foreseeable future ;)

But technically there is nothing which blocks devs to just bring in and use selected MicroProfile technologies.
MicroProfile is not an excluding circle but rather has an open and including mindset.

Of course, on a pre-packed MP server the integration might be a bit more elegant. But technically there is no blocker at least.

LieGrue,
strub
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to microprofile...@googlegroups.com.

Werner Keil

Oct 30, 2017, 3:22:13 PM10/30/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Given the new hype around Fn, I doubt Oracle really feels like claiming compatibility.

There is no blocker to apply most of the Microservice Patterns, that's exactly what I did for the custom framework, but as custom means "customer-specific" here, I'm afraid I can't share more than the patterns you'd find in MP or similar Microframeworks (like Dropwizard, Spring Boot) already. Everything else especially the "Externalized Configuration" pattern is already covered by this framework for some time. It was started at a time of at least Java EE 6 and contains a heavy Model-driven aspect, so it's fed with models (in the new version Eclipse EMF, earlier other tools like MagicDraw or StarUML) Other aspects it covers are typical Integration patterns like Apache Camel or Mule.

So it goes beyond MicroProfile or Spring but was missing a few bits like health check and metrics which is what I helped them include.

Werner

John Clingan

Mark Struberg

Oct 30, 2017, 4:58:29 PM10/30/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hmm, of course WebLogic is not a WebProfile server but Full Profile.

But _each_ Full Profile EE Server includes *all* bits and pieces of WebProfile.
And if you look at the TCK readmes then you will notice that every Full Profile server *must* pass the WebProfile TCK part as well.

It's just like using a big Bus as a Taxi. It is probably way too much, but technically it works.

LieGrue,
strub

Am Montag, 30. Oktober 2017 21:11:21 UTC+1 schrieb John Clingan:
[...]

Werner Keil

Oct 31, 2017, 3:38:24 PM10/31/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Yes it is more like a bus or (in case of our target solution) big container ship compared to say a yacht.

At least for one of the emulators I wrote for that kind of client I stuck to Web Profile mostly with CDI, JSF, JPA or Bean Validation. JAX-RS based services were closer to MicroProfile because they also got features like health check or metrics, but JAX-RS is not part of the Web Profile right now (https://jaxenter.com/introducing-the-java-ee-web-profile-103275.html)

Maybe something to consider in EE4J btw, it's a bit of a paradox. And looking at MicroProfile having just those 3 relatively independent artifacts as a core dependency so could JSON-P.

Werner