REQUEST to list KumuluzEE in Microprofile eBook and eBook Slide Deck

Matjaz B. Juric

Feb 14, 2019, 4:52:58 PM2/14/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com, microprofil...@googlegroups.com

Dear All,

I would kindly ask to list the KumuluzEE in Microprofile eBook and eBook Slide Deck. We have noticed that on page 16 of the eBook, several MicroProfile implementations are listed, however KumuluzEE is not among them. The same holds true for the Slide Deck.

KumuluzEE is one of the oldest microservice frameworks for Java. We’ve won the Duke’s Choice Award in 2015 for KumuluzEE. Currently, KumuluzEE is Microprofile 2.0 compliant, we are working on 2.1 and 2.2 and will be there soon.

Also, KumuluzEE provides several extensions that go beyond MicroProfile, such as Discovery, Event Streaming, Reactive, gRPC, GraphQL and Ethereum (among others).

We also have several clients, mostly large companies, that use microservices for their production application, mostly for digital products and services.

For more, please visit: https://ee.kumuluz.com/

You can follow our progress on our blog: https://blog.kumuluz.com/

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Matjaz B. Juric

Amelia Eiras

Feb 14, 2019, 5:08:01 PM2/14/19
to MicroProfile Marketing, MicroProfile, matjaz...@gmail.com, Thabang Mashologu, John Clingan, Kevin Sutter
ThankYOU Matjaz for sending direct feedback to the MP Community via the forum!
Your actions ROCK :)

Let us go further and make sure Kumuluz gets also quoted in the e-book…
There are few other partners, Tomitribe included, that didn’t get a quote  in this project.  I am not sure how the paper became a reality yet as you explicitly mention, the e-book represents the MicroProfile project and as such ought to be improved integrating its community feedback.

Are you ok Matjaz to add this topic to the next Community hangout?

Disclosure—  I believe our community can accomplish much even before the next call by seeing current feedback as valuable and integrating it directly in the e-book project.

Cc’d wonderful Thabang, Head of Marketing at the Eclipse Foundation. John C. and Kevin, co-leads! :)

Cheers with coffee from rainy SM!

m.reza.rahman

Feb 14, 2019, 5:24:36 PM2/14/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com, microprofil...@googlegroups.com
Are you guys active on Twitter? That is one of the best ways I can help spread word and stay up to date myself.

Matjaz B. Juric

Feb 15, 2019, 6:00:42 AM2/15/19
to Amelia Eiras, MicroProfile Marketing, MicroProfile, Thabang Mashologu, John Clingan, Kevin Sutter

Thanks,

For me it’s ok to add this to the next Community hangout.

Best regards,

Matjaz

Cesar Saavedra

Feb 15, 2019, 6:57:53 AM2/15/19
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, Amelia Eiras, Cesar Saavedra, John Clingan, Kevin Sutter, MicroProfile, Thabang Mashologu
Hi Matjaz,

On the MicroProfile Starter landing page (https://start.microprofile.io), there’s a button that says “Give Feedback”. Please click on this button and then create an issue with your request.

Thank you,
Cesar

Cesar Saavedra
Senior Principal Technical Product Marketing Manager

Cesar Saavedra

Feb 15, 2019, 7:09:56 AM2/15/19
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, Amelia Eiras, Cesar Saavedra, John Clingan, Kevin Sutter, MicroProfile, Thabang Mashologu
Hi Matjaz,
I misread your request, sorry. You’re correct, KumuluzEE should appear in that list in the eBook and corresponding presentation. That was an oversight. Let me look into how to correct that.

Thank you,
Cesar

Amelia Eiras

Feb 15, 2019, 2:17:42 PM2/15/19
to Kevin Sutter, Cesar Saavedra, MicroProfile Marketing, John Clingan, MicroProfile, Thabang Mashologu
Lets keep in the topic in next week agenda, the e-book we are talking about has been added to MP.io site as such it deserves our attention.

That project didn’t make it to the mktg forum or the regular forum and it was not a project that the MP active branding team was involved in as a unit.
If someone can send the minutes where the project was discussed that would be amazing. Thank you in advance.

About fun— The latest e-book being worked on is from MicroProfiler Hayri Cicek. Will add that to agenda to bring quick awareness of the project. Hayri has already sent status via MP forum to enable Community feedback. :)

Happy wknd MicroProfilers beautiful community,

On Feb 15, 2019, at 7:58 AM, Kevin Sutter <sut...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

Thank you, Matjaz, for bringing this to our attention.  Since Cesar has indicated that he is checking into how to get this updated, and both he and the rest of the Marketing team are now aware of this oversight, I'm not sure what else needs to be brought up at the MP Community Hangout.  If we can cover items via our forums, then great -- that's more efficient that waiting for a Hangout.  Unless there is some aspect of this request that is not being addressed, I think we're covered.  Thanks again!

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Java EE architect
e-mail:  sut...@us.ibm.com     Twitter:  @kwsutter
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn:

Cesar Saavedra

Feb 15, 2019, 3:14:01 PM2/15/19
to Amelia Eiras, Kevin Sutter, MicroProfile Marketing, John Clingan, MicroProfile, Thabang Mashologu, Cesar Saavedra
The slide deck has been updated to add KumuluzEE as an implementation of MicroProfile.

I have submitted the annotated white paper/eBook with the addition of KumuluzEE to the Eclipse Foundation, who are applying the fix.

The C-level/Business level/ITDM white paper (eBook) was discussed many times during the regular Marketing calls last year. Please refer to the 2018 meeting minutes (search for "ITDM", for example):

Marketing call minutes/videos are posted to marketing and general forums. There were also a couple of threads about this white paper (eBook) in the forums.

Matjaz, again, we'd like to apologize for the unintentional oversight and thanks for bringing this up to our attention.

Cesar

Amelia Eiras

Feb 15, 2019, 6:08:48 PM2/15/19
to Cesar Saavedra, MicroProfile, MicroProfile Marketing, Kevin Sutter, John Clingan, Thabang Mashologu, Stephanie Swart
Thanks Cesar for sharing the 2018 minutes.

I went as far as Sept 3rd, 2018 and couldn’t find the detail on the project. Clearly, the Minutes is proven not the best way to consume the update on how the project was accomplished.

My preference will be to provide below feedback directly via the skeleton of the project YET I cannot find it in the MP Drive. Where is that document located?

The folder you mention, screen shot shown above hasn’t been adjusted since last Sept 18th, 2018. CC’d Stephanie from the EF Team since she is the owner of that document.
The document was always in PDF form and never allowed for collaboration.
NOW, let's focus on what we can do to make e-book representative. As mentioned in my previews email, the quotes in the book are lacking and we must fix that.
The e-book quotes by page, 15 pages total goes as follows:
Lets disregard why some MicroProfilers got invited to participate while others didn’t get that chance from the start and fix it now:

  • p3: Ivar
  • p4: Martijn
  • p6: Ivar
  • p7: Martijn (1), John C. (1)
  • p8: John C
  • p9: Ivar (2)
  • p10: Mike Milinkovich (1), Martijn (1)
  • p12: Kevin S (1), Ivar (1)
  • p13: Martijn
  • p14: Kevin S

  1. Ivar [5 quotes]
  2. Martijn [ 4 quotes]
  3. John C. [2]
  4. Kevin S. [2]

Total number of quotes: 14
MicroProfilers enabled to participate not including EF Team:  4

None of the MicroProfilers listed are at fault for providing quotes those wonderful quotes that can be used for the branding of MicroProfile branding.  Thank you 4!

ISSUE: The oversight is in the design of this e-book that complete lacks the integration of across the board MicroProfilers' voices.

As it stands, the e-book will continue to be housed under the MP.io site with the understanding and fully acknowledgment as shown on these exchanges, openly via the forum, that e-book needs fixing ASAP>

From my side, I will help by providing my own time to the task to help make e-book inclusive and representative of our Community via adding more valuable voices to document: individuals and Vendors.

Closing this msg, the link to this forum thread will be added to the next week Community agenda as part of the topic to consume in the next MP Community call.

Cesar Saavedra

Feb 15, 2019, 10:51:26 PM2/15/19
to MicroProfile Marketing, MicroProfile, Kevin Sutter, John Clingan, Thabang Mashologu, Stephanie Swart, Cesar Saavedra
As I mentioned before, if you search the term "ITDM" in last year's 2018 Marketing Hangout minutes doc, you'll find the many times this topic was discussed.

The ITDM whitepaper (eBook) can be found in the Marketing folder here:

One of the topics, related to the C-level/Business level/ITDM/eBook white paper, we discussed last year was its funding. Since, marketing funding has been a challenging topic, and time was of the essence (and still is) because there had been many requests from the community for type of content, Red Hat decided to fund this eBook with the help of the Eclipse Foundation and a content creation company called Titan. For this endeavor, we needed 4 interviewees that Titan would interview (this was part of the contract). This was all discussed at the MicroProfile Marketing Hangout calls last year, some of which you attended. I sent out a request to the community asking for names of people to interview and I believe you even replied with some names. We went through the list and decided on 2 folks that would represent the community, Ivar and Martijn, and the two leaders of the project, John C. and Kevin S. as the interviewees. Again, we were limited to 4 people.

In summary, this eBook is a donation from Red Hat to the community (copyrighted to the Eclipse Foundation). The creation/editing/formatting/organization of the eBook was a large endeavor carried out by Titan with involvement of the Eclipse Foundation with the highly valuable contribution from the community, namely the 4 interviewees. It was an oversight to not include KumuluzEE as one of MicroProfile implementation in the market and that has been corrected. Adding more content to the eBook at this point may not be feasible without hiring the services of Titan.

Thanks,
Cesar

Matjaz B. Juric

Feb 16, 2019, 11:33:22 AM2/16/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Reza,
Currently we post the news on our blog https://blog.kumuluz.com/
We will start to tweet soon and I'll let you know.
Thanks,
Matjaz

Matjaz B. Juric

Feb 16, 2019, 11:44:37 AM2/16/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Cesar,
Thanks. We're also interested to be part of the start.microprofile.io (which is a great idea IMHO), so I've create an issue.
Thanks,
Matjaz

Matjaz B. Juric

Feb 16, 2019, 11:57:38 AM2/16/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi Cesar,
Thank you once again for including KumuluzEE (on behalf of our whole Kumuluz team). We appreciate it very much.
Microprofile is a great initiative and one of the most important things (if not the most important thing) that happened to Java since the first version of Java EE. Both the e-book and the slide deck have valuable content, which we will also share with users and clients of our framework.
Thanks,
Matjaz

m.reza.rahman

Feb 16, 2019, 1:47:04 PM2/16/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Great. Doesn't need to be a lot of tweeting IMO. Just one per blog entry would be fine with me.

Amelia Eiras

Feb 16, 2019, 5:03:28 PM2/16/19
to MicroProfile Marketing, Cesar Saavedra, MicroProfile, Kevin Sutter, John Clingan, Thabang Mashologu, Stephanie Swart, Cesar Saavedra
Cesar,

Using the Marketing minutes proactively and I do think that RedHat must be recognized as the sponsor of the e-book on the very first page of the book. Credit is due and must be explicit in the doc! :)
Further comments in the document.