MicroProfile 2.2 RC1

Kevin Sutter

Feb 4, 2019, 2:25:01 PM2/4/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,
Please review the MicroProfile 2.2 RC1 release:  https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile/releases/tag/2.2-RC1

Besides the updates to the following components (Fault Tolerance 2.0, OpenAPI 1.1, OpenTracing 1.3, and Rest Client 1.2.0), we have also updated the pom.xml to allow it to be used as a BOM.  It can still be used as a standard POM file and import all dependencies, or it can be used as a BOM and you can specify which component dependencies you are interested in.  Please try it out with your various test scenarios!  We need the feeback to ensure that we didn't accidentally break anybody.  If we did this right, then current usage of the platform POM dependency should not be affected at all.  We have added the capability to allow the POM to be used as a BOM.  If you want to try that out, you will need to modify your dependency declaration in your pom.xml.

Both the README and Release documentation has information on how to use the POM/BOM.  I also published this RC1 to Maven to allow an easy test environment.

Thanks!
Kevin

Kevin Sutter

Feb 6, 2019, 6:00:44 PM2/6/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile

Just nudging this review one more time...  I'd like to get some feedback, even if it's a simple +1.  Thanks!

Ken Finnigan

Feb 8, 2019, 11:03:29 AM2/8/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Took a look at POM and BOM, and with some tests it seems fine

Ken

Kevin Sutter

Feb 8, 2019, 1:06:46 PM2/8/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thanks, Ken!  I plan to initiate the official MP 2.2 release over the weekend unless I hear any comments or concerns...

-- Kevin

Andy McCright

Feb 8, 2019, 6:08:37 PM2/8/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I took a quick look, and it looks fine to me.  We just published a 1.2.1 release of MP Rest Client (fixes some minor TCK issues), so it might be worth updating the pom file - but since there were no spec or API changes, it's probably fine either way.

Kevin Sutter

Feb 10, 2019, 10:41:51 AM2/10/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thanks, Andy!  We only accept major.minor versions into the MP platform releases.  The patch version (ie. 1.2.1 in your case) is only for TCK updates.  And, as you said, there are not API or Spec changes, so no reason to specify it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Sebastian Daschner

Feb 10, 2019, 11:56:31 AM2/10/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

As I wrote to you offline, Kevin, I've just tested the BOM-style dependency imports and that works fine, exactly what I had in mind, thanks!

Closing my hereby obsolete PR #78.

Cheers,
Sebastian