The process for adding new committers

Emily Jiang

Jan 12, 2017, 12:44:29 PM1/12/17
to MicroProfile
What is the process to invite new committers. Johnathan Halterman (git id: jhalterman) is co-author for Fault Tolerance proposal. How can Jonathan become a committer for the proposal project?

Thanks
Emily

Kevin Sutter

Jan 12, 2017, 4:00:29 PM1/12/17
to MicroProfile
Emily,
Depends on which project is being referenced...  :-)  While we are still attempting to figure out the proper migration from our current microprofile.io github repo to the Eclipse-based repo, I think you just need to reach out to somebody on the Tomitribe team (David, Andy, etc).

For the Eclipse project, we have already submitted the set of initial committers.  So, to add new committers, they will have to follow the merit-based process:
https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/#elections-committer

This state of flux between the establishment of the Eclipse project is causing some hiccups...  Appreciate your patience.

Kevin

Wayne Beaton

Jan 12, 2017, 4:01:05 PM1/12/17
to microp...@googlegroups.com

https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/#elections-committer

Note that we are working on a new implementation of the infrastructure for electing committers that we hope to roll out this month or early next (at which point, we'll update the documentation in the handbook).

All communication regarding the election from our infrastructure will be to the project's "dev" list [1]. You can continue to hold community-building discussion on this list, but please make sure that all project committers are subscribed to micropro...@eclipse.org to ensure that you receive communications from the Eclipse Foundation.

You should start asking process-related questions on the incub...@eclipse.org list (subscribe here [2] if you're not already subscribed).

As you can imagine it's impossible for me to monitor all project communications for questions, and given that this list covers a lot of topics, it's likely that I'll miss questions. Asking questions on the incubation mailing list will get you connected with the broader community and give you a better chance of getting help in a timely manner.

Wayne

Wayne Beaton
@waynebeaton
The Eclipse Foundation
Eclipse
          Converge

Kevin Sutter

Jan 12, 2017, 5:02:48 PM1/12/17
to MicroProfile
Thanks, Wayne!  For the information links and your patience.  Trying to keep up with these Google groups as well as getting initiated into the Eclipse mailing lists is difficult...  We'll eventually get there...

Kevin

Werner Keil

Jan 16, 2017, 4:21:40 AM1/16/17
to MicroProfile
I don't think it's worth the struggle with the old list, but when I was about to point colleagues in the current project to the MP site (because they're based in Nuremberg and could attend our presentation at DWX) I saw, somehow my name/pic vanished, although the PR was merged in October https://github.com/microprofile/microprofile-contributor-list/pull/23 and it also showed up then.

http://microprofile.io/contributors does not show it, and my PR was right before Anatole or (fellow speaker who proposed to DWX) Ivar, so some of those merges must have lost one or the other name on the list. Again, once the Eclipse project information is used, that will no longer be necessary, so unless it is trivial to fix, don't bother.

Werner

Werner Keil

Jan 26, 2017, 5:06:25 PM1/26/17
to MicroProfile
Wayne,

Are all the existing repositories under https://github.com/microprofile currently monitored by the git hook or bot you mentioned?
Or does this only apply to projects and repositories under the  https://github.com/eclipse organization?

I know my committer account should be OK, I was just added as initial committer to another new Eclipse project, but how about everyone who contributed something so far like 21(!) for the conference demo https://github.com/microprofile/microprofile-conference/graphs/contributors or a few less for some of the other repositories?

Having participated in some of the CQs and IP reviews before, I understand it could slow down the release of any such artifacts if something was contributed by a GitHub user with no proper contributor status.

Thanks,
Werner

Werner Keil

Jan 27, 2017, 5:26:21 AM1/27/17
to MicroProfile
Furthermore, looking at a PR like the one to discuss how the config library may use CDI https://github.com/microprofile/microprofile-config/issues/39#issuecomment-275610996
There are at least 3 different roles for involved users.
 - Member (Emily is a "Member of the Microprofile organization")
 - Contributor (e.g. my GitHub user stating "you have previosly committed to the MP Github repository")
 - Collaborator (Mark Struberg's user, according to the description this role may be defined by Emily for the config repo only)

What is the difference and do these roles have any meaning in Eclipse committer or membership terms?

Thanks,
Werner

Mark Struberg

Jan 27, 2017, 6:14:58 AM1/27/17
to MicroProfile
Except that your example is a tad off as I'm a "Member of the Microprofile organization" since a year or so...

Werner Keil

Jan 28, 2017, 2:57:13 PM1/28/17
to MicroProfile
Don't be silly. There Is no "Microprofile organization".

I am a legitimate Eclipse Committing Member (https://projects.eclipse.org/user/1990) project lead of one and committer to at least one other project. Where is your Eclipse profile? Aether (https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.aether/who) does not know you, not even as "Committer Emeritus", so which Eclipse project is your committer membership based on???

The list of merged PRs is simply a historical hack. Some of us Individuals were mentioned in the London F2F https://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/ec-public/materials/2017-01-1011/MicroProfile-Update-to-JCP.pdf but that does not state, if either of these corporate or JUG/Individual members have a legitimate Eclipse member status or not.
If you want to contribute something that goes into a future release everyone who does must have a working committer status (signed the Eclipse contributor agreement, much like Apache) If you don't or it expired, please get your act in order, otherwise what you contributed will never be part of a MP release.

Mark Struberg

Jan 28, 2017, 3:20:18 PM1/28/17
to MicroProfile
Wow, you again ignore history facts.

Werner Keil

Jan 28, 2017, 3:44:05 PM1/28/17
to MicroProfile
If you mean https://github.com/microprofile/microprofile-config/graphs/contributors yes, I have contributed to some artifacts.
And based on my Eclipse committer role my pushes or PRs being merged are in order.

Are yours?;-)

Nobody listed as "official committers to Microprofile" https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.microprofile/who have any history with an Eclipse project before Microprofile (of course the 2 Mentors including Wayne do)

I am committer/lead of 2 active Eclipse projects, committed to several others like Orbit, am a contributor to STEM https://wiki.eclipse.org/The_STEM_Development_Team#The_following_is_a_list_of_current_contributors_to_STEM (it goes back to my involvement in Eclipse OHF many years ago) and a founding member of Eclipse Babel and German Language champion: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Babel_/_Language_champions#German_.28de.29
(Babel counts contribution in other ways e.g. via top translators, but it has no Git or SVN repo so it's not listed in other areas)

Again, where is your contribution to Eclipse??? The mp-config stuff is NOT a proper Eclipse repository, if it was, those who committed would be listed on https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.microprofile similar to the UOMo mirror https://github.com/eclipse/uomo/graphs/contributors

Guess your "Aether" story and Eclipse membership fall under "Alternative Facts" ?;-D

Werner Keil

Jan 28, 2017, 4:00:40 PM1/28/17
to MicroProfile
Eclipse is fully transparent. I could not find a listing of individual members, but search
Best sort by date. And you find the Microprofile proposal mentioning interested parties. Followed by a Bugzilla ticket from 2009 related to EclipseLink where Mark is mentioned for some reason (maybe he was in that JSR or something)
And Aether proposed Mark as initial committer, but that is about as valuable as the initial committer names if a JSR is filed. If you're not on the JSR detail page you are not an EG member. And if you're not on the https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.aether/who list nor a single line of code shows up in GitHub repos like https://github.com/eclipse/aether-core/graphs/contributors you are not a committer. Just someone the project considered, but never invited to join.

If you are interested in my history with Eclipse, check
https://www.eclipse.org/home/search.php?q=Werner%20Keil  - About 1,550 results (0.27 seconds)

Mark Struberg

Jan 29, 2017, 1:22:25 PM1/29/17
to MicroProfile

Werner Keil

Jan 29, 2017, 1:59:40 PM1/29/17
to MicroProfile
That's irrelevant what counts is https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.microprofile/who
Emily isn't even on that real list btw, but working for a committer company like IBM should make it easier for her, although if she plans to contribute more often, she should also stand for committer election.

Wayne answered the question of how people could be "real" committers to both Eclipse Foundation and Microprofile here https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/#elections-committer

It was about e.g. https://github.com/jhalterman and how he may be elected or invited an Eclipse committer.
He said, he signed the ECA, so he should be good to contribute to official MP artifacts, others may not be, but anybody who were interested to do so talk to Wayne / EMO. Maybe then what failed for Aether might work here some day;-)

Werner Keil

Jan 29, 2017, 2:34:42 PM1/29/17
to MicroProfile

Alasdair Nottingham

Jan 29, 2017, 2:47:50 PM1/29/17
to Werner Keil, Mark Struberg, MicroProfile
I'm glad you all care so much about this, but really I promise you no one else does. No one else equates committer lists as the same thing as community membership and given you are both committers at the ASF I would have thought you understand that. What matters is providing a valuable contribution which can be done just as easily through mail lists, pull requests and issue commentary none of which requires commit access.

This thread is a distraction from our shared goals and serves neither of you well. Both of you can provide a valuable contribution, but this isn't one of them. All this can do is serve to undermine the community spirit which is so vital to what we wish to achieve in the MicroProfile. Please take your personal issues with each other off this google group, if you need a neutral third party to help resolve this I'm sure there are many who will help mediate.

Thanks
Alasdair

Alasdair Nottingham

Werner Keil

Jan 29, 2017, 2:55:49 PM1/29/17
to Alasdair Nottingham, Mark Struberg, MicroProfile
Thanks for the input, let's hope Mark keeps focused on getting e.g. his own committer role in order.

This thread was about Emily asking how e.g. others like Jonathan (or maybe others like herself) could be voted to become committers. Not about some historic list somebody once created on GitHub.

Cheers,
Werner

Werner Keil

Jan 30, 2017, 5:49:28 AM1/30/17
to MicroProfile, alasdair....@gmail.com
So to be precise also for those with little or no experience working with Eclipse Foundation and its projects

https://github.com/microprofile
and every repository underneath is nothing but a possible initial contribution to the Eclipse Microprofile project.

Take OpenHAB: https://github.com/openhab
It was used for initial contribution to Eclipse SmartHome:
https://github.com/eclipse?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=smarthome&type=&language=

No trace or repository for SmartHome under https://github.com/openhab.
And that's how Eclipse MicroProfile should also look like once it's properly contributed, IP reviews and paperwork done and at least a 1.0 release or beyond.

I see nothing wrong if the https://github.com/microprofile GitHub organization and those involved created something around Eclipse Microprofile, like OpenHUB does on top of SmartHome.
The naming is a bit ambiguous but the practice of extending a set of Eclipse projects, APIs and bundles outside Eclipse.org is quite common.

HTH,
Werner

Amelia Eiras

Jan 30, 2017, 3:25:17 PM1/30/17
to MicroProfile, werne...@gmail.com, markst...@gmail.com
+ 1 to everything stated by Alasdair on this Thread, specially:

"This thread is a distraction from our shared goals and serves neither of you well. Both of you can provide a valuable contribution, but this isn't one of them. All this can do is serve to undermine the community spirit which is so vital to what we wish to achieve in the MicroProfile. Please take your personal issues with each other off this google group, if you need a neutral third party to help resolve this I'm sure there are many who will help mediate. "

Please Werner & Mark:

REMEMBER the direct open feedback given to both of you on thread with subject "Starting a Configuration JSR" dated 7/14/16- closed on 10/13/16 link below.

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 11:47:50 AM UTC-8, Alasdair Nottingham wrote:
[...]

Werner Keil

Jan 30, 2017, 3:59:28 PM1/30/17
to Amelia Eiras, MicroProfile, Mark Struberg
The real effort should be focused on getting a release out instead of just talking about "having released something".
I spent similar effort as Mark seems to have done (after some arguments) to get another artifact "microprofile-samples" in shape to become part of Eclipse Microprofile.

The old legacy GitHub organization is not Eclipse Microprofile, it's only the seed, That's what I told Mark and others who never contributed to an Eclipse project before. Most of those on this list are committers at the ASF but few fully understand where Eclipse projects are different. Be open to mentors or those who committed to projects in more than one Open Source foundations instead of constantly resisting and making hostile remarks due to a lack of experience with a different development process or IP regime.

We hear bold road maps for 1.1 being scheduled next week or next month, but let those who can help guide you through getting 1.0 out first.

Nobody cares about "creating a Config JSR here right now". Everyone says e.g. the Config framework and API should be a vendor-neutral API that works for Microprofile, so this thread had no relevance then and does even less now.

Cheers,
Werner

Werner Keil

Jan 30, 2017, 4:24:55 PM1/30/17
to MicroProfile, aei...@tomitribe.com, markst...@gmail.com
Btw, it was slightly off-topic in the JWT thread, but Scott Stark in https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/microprofile/gakCq7kSBsY about security and JWT confirmed, where code contributions based on e.g. repositories in the current "microprofile" organization are going and that every new repository (the config effort probably the last one that started before the Eclipse approval) should start there right away.

He also has an Eclipse account, so everyone who got one or applied can check if your ECA is in place or your committer status.

Those who only contribute little (<1000 LOC) usually won't need a committer account but another Eclipse committer would have to merge their code. If you contribute a lot I am not sure if you could still do that, but you certainly make life of other committers and the IP team a lot harder that way.

John Clingan

Jan 30, 2017, 7:31:45 PM1/30/17
to MicroProfile, werne...@gmail.com, markst...@gmail.com
+1. Locking this thread is becoming an option. Please take offline. FYI, I'm not taking sides ;-)

Werner Keil

Jan 31, 2017, 3:37:58 AM1/31/17
to MicroProfile, werne...@gmail.com, markst...@gmail.com
No problem with that. It was clogged with misinformed statements and an effort to clarify how things really work.

FYI Scott or Wayne based on (constructive) discussions in other threads created https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/microprofile/V5m4IvG7Ml8, so no problem locking this one.