Microprofile 1.3 implementation

Cristian Chiovari

Jan 7, 2018, 4:14:34 AM1/7/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi there,

I am bit new to the Microprofile universe and I saw the v 1.3  were just released and noticed the plan for 2.0

These are the releases of the specs ?
Or they are released together with a reference implementation ?

Once specs released the implementors have their own cadence to implement this on their products ...?
Is there any implementation ready for 1.3 as I would like to test and prototype against, give feedback , being involved more ...

Thanks

Ondro Mihályi

Jan 7, 2018, 5:34:56 PM1/7/18
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Hi,

MicroProfile is just a spec and it's released without a reference implementation. Only individual specs like config or failttolerance usually have implementation(s) at the time of their release, but it isn't required and often such implementation is just for proof of concept and isn't usable for building applications.

MicroProfile 1.3 has been just released and implementations will quickly follow. The list of known implementations is currently documented in the wiki: https://wiki.eclipse.org/MicroProfile/Implementation

As you can see there, there are currently only MicroProfile 1.2 implementations. There's no known implementaiton of complete MicroProfile 1.3 yet but I believe they will quickly follow. The cadence of the specification is so fast that often vendors skip some versions, so even products that don't implement MicroProfile 1.2 may quickly implement MicroProfile 1.3.

If you don't want to wait, you may try to play with one of MicroProfile 1.2 implementations and bundle libraries that implement the missing pieces into your application. In most cases, it should work, if you're able to find appropriate libraries.

Ondro