Requirements for a release candidate?

Tom Jenkinson

Jun 24, 2019, 7:10:15 AM6/24/19
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I was wondering what the requirements for a release candidate for a MicroProfile sub-project specification are?

The Eclipse dev process [1] defines a release candidate as "a feature-complete Milestone". That to me suggests that no further API changes are to be expected.

However, is it possible to produce a MicroProfile sub-project release candidate when any of the following are true:
1. Planned TCK tests are still to be written and merged
2. Textual clarification to the specification are still to be made (where API/TCK changes are not expected as a result of the change)

Thanks!

Ken Finnigan

Jun 24, 2019, 9:05:25 AM6/24/19
to MicroProfile
Tom,

[1] also outlines some MP specific requirements around releasing.

By 1) in your list, do you mean there are not TCK tests at present or there are more to be written? If it's the former, then I'd say it's not ready for RC but the latter is ok as we can update TCKs even after a final release as well.

From what other specifications have done, especially first time specifications, I believe there have still been changes to APIs, spec doc, and TCK after an RC if issues are found or pieces are missing.

Ken

Tom Jenkinson

Jun 24, 2019, 10:29:32 AM6/24/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response Ken and thanks for sharing the link to the Spec Checklist.

Reading your answer I am interpretting it that even if it is known that TCK changes will be required it is still fine to produce a release candidate. What I am not clear on is for if an API that you know is necessary for a specific version is not merged in either the spec text, or the Java code whether is it still OK to produce a release candidate?

Ken Finnigan

Jun 24, 2019, 11:50:45 AM6/24/19
to MicroProfile
Do you mean there are API changes not present in Java code or spec text?

If there are items which are knowingly missing from API code I would say it's not ready for an RC, but it's somewhat subjective as well

Tom Jenkinson

Jun 25, 2019, 6:59:56 AM6/25/19
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the follow up Ken, I do mean that circumstance. In this specific case it is that we might introduce something like: https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-lra/issues/164#issuecomment-504930172

From your answer I think it seems best to wait for any known Java API code changes before releasing an RC. I am thinking that spec text changes can still be done after an RC - but if I misunderstood please do let me know!