Start Push vs Pull vote Tuesday - Need to Finalize text

John Clingan

Mar 4, 2020, 12:47:07 PM3/4/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I'd like to "encourage" the push vs pull discussion in-between Live Hangout meetings. We are not moving quickly enough, so I'd like to put a forcing function in place. Finalize the discussion by the next Live Hangout, Working Group call (March 10th) and start the 1 week vote clock after the call. What is in the box is what we are voting on. I'll continue to own what's in the box by consolidating feedback, but please feel free to comment on my consolidations. Here is what I think is left to do:

  1. Finalize text (google doc w/text) (supporting thread)
  2. Finalize committers to vote
  3. Define voting mechanism.
    1. My starting suggestion: google group thread with nothing but posts with "name", "push" or "pull". NO DISCUSSION IN THAT THREAD. We can track via a spreadsheet to make it more clear to count but we need an email address as identifying proof.
Participate now or forever hold your peace. I recommend the former :-)

John Clingan

Mar 5, 2020, 6:58:39 PM3/5/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I feel like we've got the "pull" model generally agreed upon or pretty close to it. However, I feel we need more discussion around the push model. Thx Bill S and David L for providing comments. There are areas  that have not been fully decided yet, like "is LTS still an option"?

So, I'm giving a nudge to the community since we have 5 days left to solidify the text.

Thanks!

Emily Jiang

Mar 6, 2020, 8:50:38 AM3/6/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Thanks John!
I've added some comments on Pull Model - LTS.

Thanks
Emily

John Clingan

Mar 6, 2020, 4:17:15 PM3/6/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I've replied. You are going to need lead a discussion between now and Tuesday to vet this idea more. At this point it's not well enough defined or understood to add as a 3rd option. Don't get me wrong, I think this idea has merit and did when you suggested it.

I'm copying your text here  because it is easier to converse here than in google doc comments :-)

"I would like to move this out to be on its self between pull and push
Pull model with LTS
MicroProfile evolves itself. MicroProfile spec can declare LTS release for any downstream to consume. For the APIs/SPIs released, it will not introduce any backward incompatible changes. Then MicroProfile continue evolving itself for 2 years. With the 2 years, MicroProfile spec can explore any apis and freely remove any APIs/SPIs added in the interim without any package name changes."

Here are some of my thoughts on this:
  • I'm assuming that namespace remains org.eclipse.microprofile. Any namespace changes would be the responsibility of the external organization. It basically follows the "hands-off" approach with external organizations.
  • This feels like a short-term (2-year) fork. Is this the case? Although not generally frequent, the LTS may still need patch releases for:
    • TCK or spec clarifications
    • Updating TCKs to address CVEs in dependencies, etc
What I think you are proposing is a path for external organizations to maintain some means of MicroProfile compatibility with a "resync-with-MicroProfile-every-two-years" model. What this proposal buys external organizations is one additional year of backwards compatibility - since MicroProfile has 1 year today - at the cost of not being able to absorb new features during that time.

Emily Jiang

Mar 7, 2020, 5:13:30 AM3/7/20
to MicroProfile
  • This feels like a short-term (2-year) fork. Is this the case? Although not generally frequent, the LTS may still need patch releases for:
  • TCK or spec clarifications
  • Updating TCKs to address CVEs in dependencies, etc
Yes, TCK or spec clarifications and CVE fixes will occur on that branch.

I will start a new thread to discuss this further.

Thanks
Emily

Thanks
Emily

John Clingan

Mar 9, 2020, 12:07:53 PM3/9/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
No need to start a new thread. Just comment here.

Thanks
Emily

John Clingan

Mar 9, 2020, 12:16:58 PM3/9/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Never mind, I had to refresh browser to see new thread.
Thx.

John Clingan

Mar 9, 2020, 1:01:17 PM3/9/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Final reminder.

Amelia Eiras

Mar 12, 2020, 2:40:16 PM3/12/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Jon and Community,

Thank you for using the Jan &  Feb hangouts to get us to today's vote.
I was on vacation for the last 2 MP Hangouts and felt zero worry about this task. WHY?

Because through this forum and throughout the MPhangouts that started in January, we - each one of us participating, have chosen to be as open, as candid and clear when communication and setting expectations and asking enough questions to get us here.

Super fun and a great time to join this Community, for the new reader or expectation. Join us, it is fun to show how stuff in OSS works.

John Clingan

Mar 12, 2020, 4:23:48 PM3/12/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Who's Jon?

Amelia Eiras

Mar 12, 2020, 4:55:01 PM3/12/20
to MicroProfile Community
John, my direct apologies! :)

John Clingan

Mar 12, 2020, 6:48:53 PM3/12/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
I was just having a bit of fun, LOL. Nothing to apologize for, Amelia!